Git Repository - Problems browing repository from Virtualmin

I install the virtualmin Git module via:

apt-get install webmin-virtualmin-git
apt-get install git gitweb

Then I enabled Git Repository for my Virtual Server and created a new repository. I am using this as a “remote” repository for a Rails app. I seem to be able to push and fetch from the repository from the command line but if I try to browse the repository from Virtualmin it does not work.

Here are the related errors from the virtual server error log:

gitweb.cgi: Can’t exec “/usr/bin/git-rev-parse”: No such file or directory at gitweb.cgi line 466.
gitweb.cgi: Use of uninitialized value $commit_id in concatenation (.) or string at gitweb.cgi line 587.
gitweb.cgi: Can’t exec “/usr/bin/git-rev-list”: No such file or directory at gitweb.cgi line 587.
gitweb.cgi: Use of uninitialized value $epoch in gmtime at gitweb.cgi line 813.
gitweb.cgi: Use of uninitialized value $epoch in addition (+) at gitweb.cgi line 823.
gitweb.cgi: Use of uninitialized value $head in concatenation (.) or string at gitweb.cgi line 129.
gitweb.cgi: Use of uninitialized value $head in concatenation (.) or string at gitweb.cgi line 130.
gitweb.cgi: Can’t exec “/usr/bin/git-rev-parse”: No such file or directory at gitweb.cgi line 466.
gitweb.cgi: Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at gitweb.cgi line 1144.
gitweb.cgi: Can’t exec “/usr/bin/git-rev-list”: No such file or directory at gitweb.cgi line 1144.

It seems like I am missing some installation files or maybe I did not install Git module properly.

Any suggestions? Thanks

i seem to be having the same problem…

did you ever find a resolution to this?

oops this is super old.

i seem to be having this problem too :frowning:

/usr/bin/git-rev-parse

not sure what this is included from, but if it is in the default package, i cannot seem to find it

i have installed both git and gitweb, but whereis(git-rev-parse); only produces a manpage?

is this an internal function of git, and this is simply a problem of webdav?

thanks!

hmm as a follow up to my own question; i was going through another post i found here trying things when i noticed something…

all my ubuntu 12.04 lts machines are missing this binary…

seems odd that a long term support edition would have such a popular package broken without anybody noticing, so i intend to build the latest version of Git from source, and I will report my success…

if it turns out that it is a problem with the launchpad repository i will submit a bug report…

okay, so after taking a look at somethings, and sleeping on it, i have came to a currently untested conclusion;

i’m not 100% sure about this (I am a SVN guy, and am simply setting up GIT for my customers, and as a learning experience…),

but it seems that either the CGI helper/wrapper script might be calling the wrong function names, or that the Git api and naming convention has changed-

for example: it appears it calls the function git-rev-parse, when it should be calling git, and supplying the parameter rev-parse

i came to this conclusion when i installed the latest version of Git from source, and could not find this binary after building and installing the package in question

if i am simply just missing something here, or maybe am experiencing some other kind configuration issue, please, some one give me a heads up :slight_smile:

however, i will continue forward, and modify the base script from which “my_repository.git” is derived, and change these function calls to see if this helps my situation

if this does help, i will file a bug report, and supply my patched version of this library in the meantime in-case any body else is experiencing this issue

(running ubuntu 12.04 lts and the latest version of Git from official repository)