getting php4 to work (gpl version)

There’s also the consideration that PHP 4 has been end-of-lifed by the PHP developers. It is no longer being maintained.

But, I think OP was considering PHP 4 a brief stopover while migrating to PHP 5. I didn’t get the impression he was planning to use it for a longer period of time (any amount of time with a deprecated piece of software is dangerous, but maybe good luck will hold and no major new exploits will be found…there are already a few minor security issues known in PHP 4, since its deprecation a few months ago).

Hi

I’m in the same situation of having two PHP4 websites which are supposed to run on a new system, CentOS 5.2 64bit with Virtualmin GPL.
I was able to run any PHP5 website as CGI or FastCGI, but I can’t tell the same thing about PHP4. Basically anything else than Apache module will not work. The installed PHP4 version is php4-4.4.8-1vm.
I noticed that christophera intention was the same - to run some PHP4 websites on the same Apache serving mostly PHP5 websites.
So, there is anyone running such configuration on a system with the last packages provided by Virtualmin repository?
I don’t know where to look or check anymore. In the best scenario I’m getting a blank page and a 200 error code in the logs. I was wondering why there is no cgi binary in the PHP4 package.

Daniel

I don’t understand? What are you asking? This thread, and the one linked from it tells how to do this. What have you done that isn’t working? What errors are you getting? As far as I know, we’ve covered what you need to do to run two versions of PHP in pretty significant detail. I’m happy to answer any specific questions. But repeating what I’ve already said in this and the linked thread doesn’t seem a productive use of our time.