FTP not accessible for newly installed server

Hi guys,

I just installed a fresh Debian 8.2 and latest virtualmin. Everything is kept at default, but I can’t log in to FTP for any virtualserver unless I check that I want IP based virtual FTP server - but that I can do only for one.

I never had a problem with this in the past installations so I did a complete reinstall of the server and started from scratch - same thing.

Any advice?

thanks!

Howdy,

Hmm, that is indeed odd!

What error(s) do you get when trying to log in?

Also, what errors do you see in /var/log/syslog and /var/log/auth.log when trying to log in?

-Eric

Thanks for coming back to me Eric. None of the files shows any evidence of FTP. I tried to check around and nothing found. The error message I get is Connection refused in Cyberduck on Mac. I see ProFTPD is running fine, but I can’t login even to localhost via MC ( MC says Login incorrect).

I just replicated the same thing on a completely different server - new installation as well. FTP just refuses connections. It’s not a firewall issue, but looks like the database with usernames and passwords is not accessible to ProFTPd or so.

hi, i’ve the same problem with the same configuration, filezilla does’nt accept connection with this error "ECONNREFUSED, i use proftpd for virtualserver, and thunderbird egual. No firewall was active and There aren’t trace of error on log file.

Any advice?

Many Thanks!

Any news on this issue? I’m having the same problem. A 100% fresh debian installation with virtualmin and proftpd refuses connections. No clue why.

Hi, I had the same problem.
This did the trick :slight_smile:

https://www.virtualmin.com/node/39547

Good luck