FTP login fails from clients

I have VM PRO on CentOS all with the default setup and current versions. I can FTP into an account on one of the hosted domain as a username/password via command line FTP and everything works just like it should. But if I use an FTP client program, it claims to log in, but the server side folder is blank and I cannot upload/download anything. My clients are all having the same problem with a variety of FTP client programs.

The FTP client program(s) fail by entering passive mode and then timing out.

Why would command line FTP work into box, yet fancy new gui clients fail? I didn’t think they would use different ports.

thanks…

Steve

http://www.virtualmin.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=77&func=view&id=9894&catid=8#9894

Thanks for pointing this out. I saw it while scanning for previous FTP problems, but I didn’t think it was the right fix. Of course, it was just right.

It didn’t cross my mind that the virtualmin configuration would be broken out of the box.

Joe, You may want to adjust your install scripts so the proftp works in the default VMPro setup on CentOS.

Still curious, my ignorance of FTP protocol showing, why can I log into the proftp server via a command line ftp program and transfer files with no problem, while the gui clients fail to log in correctly? I could not find settings on the gui that would restrict the program to play within command line limits. Maybe I have an ftp client for dummies… of course evidence says that may be just right for me. <grin>

thanks…
Steve