FTP just stopped working... worked great before

I am using ProFTPD and installed virtualmin about a month ago. Everything was working perfect and I was happilly on my way.

I tried to upload some files today via ftp but could not.

recently I have been using ftp often to test out new sites, but usage shouldn’t harm it or create problems.

Anyways all virtual sites are affected. I can login and the NOOP command still works.

FTP LOG
< 220 ProFTPD 1.3.0 Server (Debian) [::ffff:72.244.82.149]
> USER google
< 331 Password required for google.
> PASS *****
< 230 User google logged in.
> REST 1
< 501 REST: Resuming transfers not allowed in ASCII mode
> SYST
< 215 UNIX Type: L8
> PWD
< 257 "/home/google" is current directory.
~ Login completed.
> PORT 192,168,1,213,231,153
< 500 Illegal PORT command
~ Could not retrieve directory listing for "/home/google/"
> NOOP
< 200 NOOP command successful
> NOOP
> NOOP

ftp client: PASV, Explicit SSL

webmin: linux firewall has random high ports accessible?

<br><br>Post edited by: PlayGod, at: 2008/01/31 04:48

I turn the random ports on and could connect. Then i turned them off and it still worked. Ok I am sure it is the firwall now, does proftpd use these ports always or just sometimes? Thanks I will play around with port settings until it is what i like and working!

Still have no idea what caused this to happen

You can go to the link below to see the recommended ports to open for Proftpd. In addition to the firewall settings make sure you match the settings in the Proftpd.conf file. When you make the changes you must apply the firewall rules and restart Proftpd for them to take effect.

http://proftpd.org/localsite/Userguide/linked/config_ref_PassivePorts.html

Go check the server logs, the secure and xferlog file in var/log.

I stopped proftpd and installed vsftp, I had used it for years, so I had a good fall back… I did ’ yum install vsftp ’ then edited the vsftp.conf and was going again…

It seem like I was getting IPv6 errors from the proftp. The version 1.3.0a the update channel is using does not has the bug fix the making it correctly handle the --ipv4 and ipv6 command-line options …
I looked at making the current version 1.3.1 … that lead to other problems. The server is not setup with all the development software it need to do that. So this setup of vsftpd.conf make it act like the installed proftpd. until someone fixes it…

[code:1]anonymous_enable=YES
local_enable=YES
write_enable=YES
local_umask=022
dirmessage_enable=YES
xferlog_enable=YES
connect_from_port_20=YES
xferlog_std_format=YES
idle_session_timeout=300
data_connection_timeout=40
nopriv_user=nobody
ascii_upload_enable=YES
ascii_download_enable=YES
chroot_local_user=YES
chroot_list_enable=YES
chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd/user_list
listen=YES
pam_service_name=vsftpd
userlist_enable=YES
tcp_wrappers=YES
[/code:1]

Good Luck
Don

re: Passive Ports… no need to directly edit ftpd.conf – Webmin has a setting: Webmin > Servers > ProFTPd Server > Networking Options > PASV port range