FTP connection refused by server

thanks for the tip, it’s workin now i have fully disabled sftpd module: actually i have commented this line in etc/proftpd.conf:
Include /etc/proftpd/conf.d/
as there’s only one file (sftpd.conf) in etc/proftpd.conf/conf.d

#Include /etc/proftpd/conf.d/

proftp is now listening on 21 port after service restart :slight_smile:

EDIT:
as you said, you can comment all lines in /etc/proftpd/conf.d/sftpd.conf if you don’t want to comment #Include /etc/proftpd/conf.d/ in etc/proftpd.conf,

#LoadModule mod_sftp.c #SFTPEngine on #Port 2222 #SFTPLog /var/log/proftpd/sftp.log #SFTPHostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key #SFTPHostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key #SFTPAuthorizedUserKeys file:~/.sftp/authorized_keys #SFTPCompression delayed

it also works

Did you try to check etc/proftpd.conf and if you have comment out:
LoadModule mod_sftp.c

SFTPEngine on
Port 2222
SFTPLog /var/log/proftpd/sftp.log

SFTPHostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
SFTPHostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key

… (could be more lines and you must comment out all of them)
Restart ProFTPd and see if it works and dont forget to check iptables for port 21 and close 2222.

Honestly i dont know why would you disable SFTP when is much more secure than FTP. If i were you i would bring back SFTP, change from 2222 to something like 10000>n<65535 (dont forget iptables) and close port 20/21.

i agree with you: i’d rather force my customers using SFTP or SSH instead of unsecured FTP but some of them asked me for it so…

You dont even need to force anything just tell them the SFTP port and SFTP protocol, everything else can stay as it is.

some customers aren’t flexible: they need FTP protocol and they want to you use it as standard protocol for their transfers

as you said before: i agree with you: i'd rather force my customers using SFTP or SSH instead of unsecured FTP but some of them asked me for it so... …so say no. if they insist on unsecured file transfers and you really care then perhaps they are not right customers for you…

sorry, transfering large amount of files through sftp does increase server and client load, not to mention i’m pumping more than 10TB data each day. I don’t know why they broke the FTP after the update, it just doesn’t make sense and it did cost me for the trouble.

hey mate, what distro you are on? I mean what linux you running on that server they breached into? …perhaps it was only weak password setup by one of your clients…

I’m having this same issue. Is there a way to correct it so I can transition customers away from FTP and onto SFTP without being abrupt?

Hello. I was also in the same problem with my Android Smartphone FTP server, first of all, I think this is the problem with my phone but when I change all the settings and also update the firmware and all the software related to wireless connection but the problem persists with me. then I found that there is an error in my Router network that I use to connect with my Computer to done FTP. I fix my IP address and server error of my Router by following Linksys Support. So if you have the same try to check your router or your other wireless network’s device to make FTP.

Hey !

I’ve got the same issue today, everything was working fine for more than a year on port 21. But all of a sudden every request got rejected on port 21, sftp on 2222 was fine however.

I fixed it by disabling sftp bu commenting everything in /etc/proftpd/conf.d/sftpd.conf

Mainly because of encryption ciphers and protocols versions and so on.

Updates must be at both sides for newer or changed , if mismatched or not supported then also probelems!