Fresh install of Virtualmin 3.82.gpl GPL - Everyting works fine but can't relay outbound mail

Thing is that the client IS setup to connect to port 25. It even says so in the error message BUT it also shows that it was rejected by 587 which is totally weird. I have tried on a number of machines and clients and it’s the same. Could something like IPtables be re-directing port 25 inquiries to port 587?

I just did another virgin install on Centos 5.3, ran yum update -y, downloaded and ran the GPL install script from the virtualmin download page on the virtualmin site, ran it, install went fine. Only error was about quotas and having to reboot, etc.

I rebooted, restored a domain. Same problem. Can receive but can’t send mail on port 25. This HAS to be a bug in the install file or something?

I used MXtool to scan the ports:

scan:74.51.38.174 scan

9 open ports:

21	ftp	Success	62 ms
22	ssh	Success	62 ms
25	smtp	Success	62 ms
53	dns	Success	62 ms
80	http	Success	62 ms
110	pop3	Success	62 ms
143	imap	Success	62 ms
443	https	Success	62 ms
3306	my sql	Success	62 ms</code>

So 25 is open but still can’t send mail!

Howdy,

I appreciate that this is all frustrating, but I have a suspicion that the issue is due to an issue with your email client :slight_smile:

There’s a lot of folks who do CentOS installs, and none of them have described what you’re seeing :slight_smile:

I’d be happy to try a test, if you like.

That is, given an email username and password on your server, I can give it a try with an email client of my own, and see if I’m able to send an email through your server. How does that sound?

If that’s okay, what you can do is email me an email username, password, and the hostname or IP address of your server to eric@virtualmin.com.

I’ll test it out, and let you know what I find. If it is indeed a setup problem, we’ll figure that out and get that corrected, both on your server and for future installations. OTOH, if I’m able to send an email, that may mean something in your email client isn’t working as expected.

-Eric

I don’ think it is a bug in the installer - at least not for Centos 5.5. I installed 3.82 twice on Centos 5.5 recently and did not have any problems. Are you able to try this on Centos 5.5?

I just d/l 5.5. Did a full install, same problem!?!?!

I’m going nuts!

What I don’t understand is how Outlook Expresses message says that 587 was rejected as well as 25 in the message??

An unknown error has occurred. Account: ‘rduval@csm-ltd.com’, Server: ‘csm-ltd.com’, Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: ‘421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 74.51.38.170 (74.51.38.170:587), connect error 10061’, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

But MX toolbox seems to indicate that it can connect?
smtp:74.51.38.170 smtp
220 vps09.manitres.net ESMTP Postfix

OK - 74.51.38.170 resolves to 74-51-38-170.voicenetwork.ca
Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner
0 seconds - Good on Connection time
Not an open relay.
0.749 seconds - Good on Transaction time

Session Transcript:
HELO please-read-policy.mxtoolbox.com
250 vps09.manitres.net [62 ms]
MAIL FROM: supertool@mxtoolbox.com
250 2.1.0 Ok [78 ms]
RCPT TO: test@example.com
554 5.7.1 test@example.com: Relay access denied [62 ms]
QUIT
221 2.0.0 Bye [62 ms]

I think your issue is either with your email client, or with your ISP blocking port 25 (as many do these days).

Perhaps you could try a different email client… for example, you could try the free Thunderbird as a test:

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Whenever you setup your email account in Thunderbird, just make sure outgoing messages are going over port 25 and not using SSL or TLS.

However, you could also just setup SSL as described above, and that would get port 587 and 465 working just fine for you. You could then use SSL and TLS.

-Eric

Same machine on same server was working on same IP until I update machine to new version (full reinstall) so it can’t be the ISP or the client (which was working before and for other users on this server).

BTW. there’s gotta be something strange here because I just installed the Analytics plugin and at the very end it says nothing was installed!

Now updating wbm-virtualmin-google-analytics .. Installing package(s) with command yum -y install wbm-virtualmin-google-analytics .. Loaded plugins: fastestmirror Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile * addons: centos.mirror.netelligent.ca * base: centos.mirror.netelligent.ca * extras: centos.mirror.netelligent.ca * updates: centos.mirror.netelligent.ca Setting up Install Process Resolving Dependencies --> Running transaction check ---> Package wbm-virtualmin-google-analytics.noarch 2:2.4-1 set to be updated --> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

================================================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size

Installing:
wbm-virtualmin-google-analytics noarch 2:2.4-1 virtualmin-universal 18 k

Transaction Summary

Install 1 Package(s)
Upgrade 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 18 k
Downloading Packages:
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
Installing : wbm-virtualmin-google-analytics 1/1virtualmin-google-analytics

Installed:

Complete!
… install complete.

No packages were installed. Check the messages above for the cause of the error

I’ve emailed you a test account and info…

Howdy,

Using the account information you provided, I was indeed able to send an email through your server. You should see the email in your Gmail account shortly.

Sorry, but it doesn’t look like it’s a server configuration problem :slight_smile:

When sending an email via port 25, it’s definitely capable of working. I don’t know if the issue is with the email client you’re using, or the ISP in front of your desktop where you’re sending the test email… but one of those two appears to be the culprit.

I suspect it would work just fine for you if you were to setup SSL in Postfix as described above, which would allow you to send email via ports 587 and 465.

-Eric

So I have the (or a) solution. I have a feeling that my ISP is forwarding port 25 traffic to 587 (even though they are denying it) and other clients ISP is blocking 25 altogether.

Anyway, I opened port 587 by adding it to IPtables with:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 587 -j ACCEPT

Then told Postfix to accept traffic from 587 by editing the /etc/postfix/master.cf file and adding:

587 inet n - n - - smtpd

Then restarting postfix with:
service postfix restart

Now I’m telling everyone to use 587 if 25 doesn’t work but mine works either way since the ISP forwarded 25 requests are sent to 587 anyway.

Thanks to all for the help, hope this helps someone else with the same problem.

BTW, Virtualmin is awesome!