FIXED - Ooops! Installed wrong license!!

I own three licenses of Pro: a 10 domain, a 50 domain and a third 10 domain. The first 10 domain and the 50 domain are being used commercially. The third I purchased for myself; for my blog.

Unfortunately, when I installed the new server at home tonight, I grabbed the wrong install script from the Serial Numbers page (I assumed newest would be on top, and didn’t look closely at the dates).

I really don’t want to do a reinstall, but I also don’t want to have my license wrong on the new server, nor have the client I installed the first 10 domain license on think I pirated his copy.

How can I fix this without wiping the new (home/personal) server?

Thanks!

Tom

Post edited by: networkprosource@gmail.co, at: 2007/12/30 18:18<br><br>Post edited by: networkprosource, at: 2007/12/31 10:00

I believe you can edit /etc/virtualmin-license

I found the file, and replaced the license numbers. Couldn’t figure out how to kill -HUP virtualmin, so I punted the server. Waiting now to see if changes took. Thanks!

Tom

That did it! Phew! Thanks!

Tom

No problem

Virtualmin is a bundle of modules running under Webmin. Restarting is as simple as restarting the Webmin service.

/etc/init.d/webmin restart

Will do it on all of our supported operating systems, and there’s also stop/start/restart scripts in the Webmin configuration directory on all systems, whether fully supported by Virtualmin or not (like Mac OS X…though it probably also has a more system-standard restart mechanism).

It can also be restarted from within Webmin. Just browse to the Webmin:Webmin:Webmin Configuration page, and click "Restart Webmin".

But, this isn’t necessary just to check the license. There is a license check script accessible both on the command line and from within Virtualmin.

When logged in, you can browse to /virtual-server/licence.cgi on the system. For example, I would browse to:

https://www.virtualmin.com:10000/virtual-server/licence.cgi

The license data is also stored in the software repository configuration. Either yum or apt-get. So you’ll need to modify those files, as well:

/etc/yum.repos.d/virtualmin.repo

Or:

/etc/apt/sources.list

Just change the username:password combo to the new serial number and license key. This one isn’t urgent, but our repository access logs also contribute to license verification, so if you have two many systems accessing with the same license for an extended period of time it could be flagged (which just means a human sends you an email to be sure the license hasn’t been compromised or otherwise abused).