FIXED: Broken Package dependency under virtualmin/ubuntu

Hey All,

I’ve run into a problem recently with Virtualmin GPL with regards to failed dependency. Everything was working dandy until the other day I went to add phpt5-gd support. Here is the error bellow.

root@mm20-TEMP:/home/# apt-get install php5-gd
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install’ to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
apache2-mpm-prefork: Depends: apache2.2-common (= 2.2.8-12vm.ubuntu0.14) but.2.8-10vm is to be installed
php5-gd: Depends: libt1-5 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages (or specify aolution).
root@mm20-TEMP:/home/
#

So when I run the apt-get -f install I’m still given an error

root@mm20-TEMP:/home/****h# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Correcting dependencies… Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
apache2.2-common
The following packages will be upgraded:
apache2.2-common
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 21 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/816kB of archives.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database … 83115 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace apache2.2-common 2.2.8-10vm (using …/apache2.2-common_2.2.8-12vm.ubuntu0.14_amd64.deb) …
Unpacking replacement apache2.2-common …
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/apache2.2-common_2.2.8-12vm.ubuntu0.14_amd64.deb (–unpack):
trying to overwrite `/var/www’, which is also in package apache2-doc
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/apache2.2-common_2.2.8-12vm.ubuntu0.14_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
root@mm20-TEMP:/home/
#

I’m not really sure how to go about correcting this with out breaking the system. I’ve had to create a clone from our production to test. We have also purchased Pro but I’m holding off on inputting the keys until I can get this error fixed. This is also preventing us from doing anything with apt.

Any ideas?

-Chris

Hrm, do you require the apache2-doc package?

If not, I’d suggest removing that, then trying to install apache2.2-common again.

It sounds like there’s something conflicting about those two.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

No, I don’t need the doc package. So I removed it still ran into the same issue. I did a little more digging and what got my attention this time was the line:

trying to overwrite `/var/www’, which is also in package apache2-doc dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe) Errors were encountered while processing:

So I went and checked /var/www…we don’t use /var for any website content so I never thought to check, but for some reason /var/www/ was symlinked to /hosted…/hosted didn’t exist. So I created the dir re-ran apt and all was well again. I don’t know why I didn’t notice this until now…but oh well

I now have apt back and working the way it should and the php5-gd libs installed.

-Chris