Firewalld Crashed and Prevents Access

Hi

I amended some dns setting in Networking Configuration (just added two hosts) and when I rebooted the server it would not start. Finally discovered via rescue mode and mounting the file structure so that I could access the site and webmin that firewalld has crashed. If I got to Linux Firewall it no longer tells me I am using firewalld but there are also no entries (and I do not know how to add them safely to open 22 and 10000. Advice on that would be a good startQ

The message I get from firewall-cmd --status is:

root@rescue-pro:/etc# firewall-cmd --state
Not using slip
Traceback (most recent call last):

• File “/usr/bin/firewall-cmd”, line 696, in *
  • fw = FirewallClient()*
  • File “”, line 2, in init*
  • File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/firewall/client.py”, line 52, in handle_exceptions*
  • return func(*args, *kwargs)
  • File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/firewall/client.py”, line 1594, in init*
  • self.bus = dbus.SystemBus()*
  • File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/_dbus.py”, line 194, in new*
  • private=private)*
  • File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/_dbus.py”, line 100, in new*
  • bus = BusConnection.new(subclass, bus_type, mainloop=mainloop)*
  • File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py”, line 122, in new*
  • bus = cls._new_for_bus(address_or_type, mainloop=mainloop)*
    dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

Google search gave me this:

Turns out it is an iptables bug in Debian 10.
Version 1.8.2 of iptables in Debian 10 is bugged. It can be fixed by upgrading to 1.8.3 from buster-backports.

Happy to upgrade firewalld but not sure how to add backports and do the upgrade.

Can someone guide me please?

Geoff

Add this to your source.list:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main

And after that:
apt update (just in case)
apt install -t buster-backports iptables

Should do the trick. :slight_smile:

Thanks Carson. I will try tonight.

Carson, I am running Jessie on this server so I added http://deb.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main which it accepted. Then ran apt-get update then upgrade and finally apt-get install iptables. However nothing has changed and I still cannot access the server other than in ssh mode.

In fact I am now having other problems with the dns (I simply hate dns). I’m once more going to rebuild the whole server as I suspect the changes I have made will just continue to give me problems. In the words of Arnold, I’ll be back.

Geoff

OK rebuild completed and I once again have access but there are still some issues but I am gong to raise them a new post.

This post is now closed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.