fastcgi vs fcgid - configuration files

I’ve seen a lot of articles on these two, that is, if they actually are different; referring to FastCGI, but using <Ifmodule mod_fcgid.c> and so on.

I’ve managed to get mod_fastcgi running on my Debian Etch server. But I hear a lot of people tell me that mod_fastcgi is old, use the ‘binary compatible alternative’ (i still don’t know what that really means), mod_fcgid.

Well, what confuses me is this. Debian repository has available two different builds of apache, libapache2-mod-fcgid, and libapache2-mod-fastcgi. If I install either of them, I get a separate main configuration for each (fcgid.conf and fastcgi.conf respectively).

Now I’m wondering is there actually any difference to the directives which can be used in the configuration files (such as the ones here), regarding ‘fastcgi’ as being the globally used term? or is there a separate bunch of configuration directives for each package?<br><br>Post edited by: szalinski, at: 2009/03/17 16:46

I can’t really speak to the specific differences therein – but I can offer that if you did an install of Virtualmin using the install.sh, it would be pulling in the mod_fcgid module.

Also, you can see the fcgid docs here:

http://fastcgi.coremail.cn/doc.htm

But, perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I on the differences between the two will chime in :slight_smile:
-Eric

1 Like

The reason we don’t use mod_fastcgi is because it doesn’t work with suexec in Apache 2. No other factors matter if it simply doesn’t work the way we need to use it.

As Eric mentioned, if you use our install script, you don’t have to think about it. We’ve chosen very reasonable defaults for just about everything…including the FastCGI module.

1 Like