Failure to complete Let's Encrypt renewal process

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: Ubuntu 20.04
Webmin version: 1.979
Virtualmin version: 6.16
Related products version: N/A

I’m still getting the following error as previously reported in Failure to complete Let’s Encrypt renewal process

Failed to request certificate : Cannot write to directory /var/cache/bind/

What is the output of:

ls -lsa /var/cache/ |grep bin

The default permissions for /var/cache/bind/ on Debian systems is root:bind .

Also, double-check the options for owner and permissions set on Servers ⇾ BIND DNS Server ⇾ Configuration: Zone file options config page.

I’m having the same issue as well

1.981 Usermin version 1.823
Virtualmin version 6.17-3 Authentic theme version 19.83-2

I have not been able to find a good solution for this yet.
ls -lsa /var/cache |grep bin
4 drwxrwxr-x 2 root bind 4096 Oct 4 17:04 bind

Any thoughts?

This indicates it’s trying to validate via DNS. Is this a wildcard? If it’s not a wildcard, it should not need to do anything with BIND at all. (And, if it is a wildcard, be aware that wildcards are an anti-pattern and should be avoided in most cases. There is no cost to have a cert for every domain, so I recommend you do that instead of a wildcard.)

Regardless, it seems like it’s a bug that was fixed but regressed, which is worrying.

Are you hosting DNS locally, or are you using a cloud provider like Amazon Route53 or Google DNS?

I’m using cloud DNS. Local DNS is still being used for sites under construction, which are subdomains under a staging domain.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.