I installed the latest Virtualmin to an openvz vps running Ubuntu 16.04.1. All went well until I tried to add a virtual server. I received the above error message. I’ve installed Virtualmin dozens of times over the last decade and this is the first that I have seen this problem. I know that I have to go into System Settings/Virtualmin Configuration/Network and change the venet0 to venet0:0 to get the right external IP address. Sometimes I forget to do this but Virtualmin lets me change it later and propagates the change to the virtual servers.
I tried to set the interface during the install, but as it alway has, it fails. Most likely it doesn’t like the colon. See:
Device “link” does not exist.
[WARNING] Unable to determine IP address of primary interface.
Please enter the name of your primary network interface:
./install.sh: 450: ./install.sh: log_debugPrimary address detected as 127.0.0.2: not found
I first made the change to venet0:0 before I tried to create the virtual server and it failed with the error message, so I configured it back to venet0 and it still failed.
The status of your system is being checked to ensure that all enabled features are available, that the mail server is properly configured, and that quotas are active …
Your system has 1024 MB of memory, which is at or above the Virtualmin recommended minimum of 256 MB.
Using network interface venet0:0 for virtual IPs.
IPv6 addresses are available, using interface venet0:0.
Default IPv4 address for virtual servers is 22.214.171.124.
Virtualmin could not work out the default IPv6 address for virtual servers on your system. You will need to update either the Network interface for virtual addresses or Default virtual server IP address fields on the module configuration page.
… your system is ready for use by Virtualmin.
That was after i set the network settings/network interface for virtual addresses
The network settings:
I can’t copy/paste and image, so it’s here.
This all used to work. One thing to note is that above it said “IPv6 addresses are available, using interface venet0:0” but that’s not true. See:
venet0:0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
inet addr:126.96.36.199 P-t-P:188.8.131.52 Bcast:184.108.40.206 Mask:255.255.255.255
UP BROADCAST POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MTU:1500 Metric:1
Another issue is that one of the first warnings I received was that my memory was less than 1 GB and the install might fail. However the output from the reconfiguration seemed to think 256 MB was the minimum. But that’s not important since it did install fine.
Thanks for any insight.