Failed to create Unix Group

I have Freebsd 6.0 Virtualmin 3.26
When I try to create a virtual server it fails with "failed to create Unix group" but it does create the Unix group. I have looked throughout the forum, bug tracking, and the web. All I could find was the NSCD but Freebsd does not have NSCD or equivalent. Hope you can at least point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Ups… no answer here nor in another forum where someone had the same bug already in 2005!

I have Virtualmin 3.32-2 on Debian Sarge 3.1. Needed to install it two times. The first time, Virtualmin was able to create the virtual servers without problem. This time it also "failed to create Unix Group".

I think the only difference between the 2 approchoaches were:

• apt-get update and upgrade this time have been done before virtualmin installation
  • worked to get php4 working before adding virtual servers

Does this give developers a hint to find the problem?

regards Dirk

Hey Dirk,

Your problem on Debian is, almost certainly, completely different from the FreeBSD problem originally mentioned…despite exhibiting in the same way.

If you look in the /etc/group file, do you actually have the new group (it would be a group with the same name as the new domain user)?

If so, check to be sure ncsd isn’t running (if it is, stop it, it has no use in a virtual hosting environment).

If you don’t have the group, then something actually went wrong, and we’ll need to figure out what.

If it isn’t being cause by ncsd, then it isn’t a known issue (on Debian or any other platform), so we’ll need to gather some more data to figure out what’s causing it. I’d be happy to drop in on your box and troubleshoot it for you, if you’d like to send over the IP and login details.

Hi,
thanks for your quick response - send you some email with the issues listed. Hope we get it solved :wink:

regards Dirk
(my father can’t hardly wait… to run his server again)