Failed LetsEncrypt renewal

I have Webmin/Virtualmin installed on a well seasoned Ubuntu 16.0.4.2 server and have been using Let’sEncrypt on many domains on it for about a year. I have a site that has suddenly started failing renewal. For the moment I have applied a cert from https://www.sslforfree.com so there’s no panic, but I need to figure out why it’s started failing.

The salient error seems to be:
Unable to register an account with ACME server

From the log:

“detail”: “Error creating new account :: contact email “mydomin@ip-xxx-xx-0-82.ec2.internal” has invalid domain : Domain name does not end with a valid public suffix (TLD)”,

Where does this email come from, and how do I manipulate it?

I should say that we handle our DNS from GoDaddy, not within the server using bind/virtualmin.

Thanks

Hi,

The best solution would be is to install certbot package and use the latest Webmin 1.942.

apt-get install certbot

Where does this email come from, and how do I manipulate it?

That is the contact email of your virtual-server. The data should be stored at /etc/letsencrypt directory.

Contact email must be good.

In the past Let’s Encrypt incorrectly accepted internal email addresses.
That changed Jan 2020.

Thanks.

Certbot is already installed, I did that late last year while trying to get letsencrypt to issue a wildcard cert for a domain. (which failed, because we do our DNS with GoDaddy). Installed version is certbot 0.27.0-1~ubuntu16.04.1

I am using 1.941, and my installation seems unaware that 1.942 exists even after refreshing available packages.

This certainly seems like the culprit. No obvious way of fixing it though. I’ll keep hunting.

This doesn’t seem to be the case. I see that directory, and it’s populated with some folders that are empty and a cli.ini that doesn’t have much in it, and definitely not an email address or account info. The [accounts][acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org][directory] is empty.

The Virtual Server Summary for this account shows the problematic “email address” though, but I don’t see a place to edit this.

edit virtual server, should have an email/contact field to edit…
also concerning LE, find your account (regr.json) according to this : https://letsencrypt.org/docs/account-id/

Yes, that worked! Thanks!