Existing CENTOS server: what does installing Webmin/Virtualmin change?

I have been using Webmin/Virtualmin for years. Mostly on Ubuntu/Debian, and always from the beginning of a new server’s existence. Virtualmin is installed before any website or database is created.

We are now using a packaged product - open source - that is deployed via it’s own Amazon server image. It’s preconfigured the way they want it to be. The web site’s docroot is located in a folder at /var/www/. It is a CentOS server.

The only server level admin option at the moment is command line. I miss all the tools I normally use in Webmin, such as Historic System Stats, editing apache config files, firewall, etc. Can I just install webmin and it will “just work”? While I normally use virtualmin as well, I don’t think it’s necessary on this server.

TIA

Rob

…pre-configured package? - it would be better if you ask dev or creator of that ‘preconfigured’ package this question. He would be the best person speaking to regards this as no one will know what ‘pre config’ is there and how it works. I’ve been using virtualmin with debian past years and till today - nothing much changed - it just works.

edit: just re-read it your post… im sorry, cannot help with centos.

Can I just install webmin and it will “just work”? While I normally use virtualmin as well, I don’t think it’s necessary on this server.

Depends what you have previously installed but you should know that Webmin (or Virtualmin) need to be installed on clean OS (e.g. no LAMP). Now if will work or not is hard to say, it could work without problem, you could have some problems or the installation will fail. For example on Centos Webmin/Virtualim is expected to use “/home” instead of “/var/www” so here you could have first problem to sort after install but it could be more.

Easiest solution would be to make a backup of existing websites, install clean OS and then proceed with Webmin/Virtualmin. Once done it should be easy to restore your websites. Another option is to make full backup of your server, try to install Webmin/Virtualmin and if it fails or there are too many problems restore entire server to previous state and see what next step to take.

I really like that… I really like that!