Executing script on DNS zone changes

Hi there!

The way i manage my secondary dns server right now is that i have a script that collects all zones, generates the configuration file and sends it via scp to the other server. The other server then has a cron script that looks if there is a new config file, if yes moves it to the bind dir and reloads it.
I don’t have root access to that server so i can’t install webmin or anything, so this is the way to go for me.

I want to automate this, so that shell script gets executed whenever a zone is created or deleted.

Is this possible? I couldn’t find the place to set such a thing up in virtualmin pro…

hal

Post edited by: Hal9000, at: 2009/03/02 22:49<br><br>Post edited by: Hal9000, at: 2009/03/02 22:56

You’re looking for Module Config->Actions upon server and user creation

The commands are run with a handful of ENV variables set to indicate what’s happening (whether it’s a creation, deletion, update, etc.) and some details about it (like user, domain name, etc.). Click the help to get a bit of info about those variables. Because the variables are highly dependent on your particular situation (custom fields get variables, too), the best bet is probably to just make a script that writes the ENV out to a file and exits, so you can see exactly what information you have to work with.

thanks. under which user are those scripts executed? is it possible to execute a script as a precise user?

They run as root, and no, you’re stuck running the scripts as root. They’re intended to be used for administrative tasks–so running as anything else just wouldn’t work.

That said, you could make a wrapper for it that executes another script as the virtual server owner. That’d actually be reasonably trivial, something like:

#!/bin/sh

su -c ‘/path/your-script.sh’ $VIRTUALSERVER_USER

Or, you could write your script to do the things it needs to do as a particular user into the script in question.

Actually, I guess, technically, you might even be able to do this in the command field, since it’s just one line…I’m not sure if the variables are available at that point, though. It’d be worth a try, though.