I have a new server running Centos 5.6 and Virtualmin GPL 3.84. When I create a new mail in a virtual server the first sender that send an email to this account receive this email:
The original message was received at Mon, 23 May 2011 11:05:55 +0200 from [188.8.131.52]
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- firstname.lastname@example.org
----- Transcript of session follows -----
procmail: Enforcing stricter permissions on “/var/mail/user_domain.com”
procmail: Error while writing to “/var/log/procmail.log”
Failed to run /virtual-server/lookup-domain.pl : No such file or directory at /etc/webmin/virtual-server/lookup-domain.pl line 18.
procmail: Program failure (2) of “/etc/webmin/virtual-server/lookup-domain.pl”
Time:1306141555 From:email@example.com To:firstname.lastname@example.org
User:user_domain.com Size:9479 Dest:/var/spool/mail/user_domain.com Mode:None
554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 2
Where email@example.com is the new user on my server and firstname.lastname@example.org is the first sender.
After this error all emails arrive normally and all senders don’t receive this error.
Can anyone help me resolving this issue?
Thanks a lot.
Hmm, how did you perform that installation? Did you by chance use the install.sh script?
Those are some unusual errors, and it appears to be delivering the emails to a non-standard location. Which might make sense if you hadn’t use the install.sh script, and still need to do some manual configuration
i used the install.sh script. Location of mailboxes files is /var/spool/mail/.
Home directory of users is locate in /home.
Can I resolve this problem?
Thanks a lot.
Hrm, something is unusual about your setup
Mailboxes are generally stored under /home. But seems to be having trouble finding some other files as well.
Is there a line beginning with “VIRTUALMIN=” in your /etc/procmailrc file? It would normally look like this:
Hello! Thanks for your reply.
I have got this line and also these:
imposta variabile LOGFILE a /var/log/procmail.log
imposta variabile TRAP a /etc/webmin/virtual-server/procmail-logger.pl
imposta variabile VIRTUALMIN sempre esegui azione
imposta variabile EXITCODE a $?
accoda al file /dev/null status Exit del comando /usr/bin/test "$EXITCODE" = "73"
esegui blocco condizionale status Exit del comando /usr/bin/test "$VIRTUALMIN" != ""
imposta variabile DEFAULT a /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME
imposta variabile ORGMAIL a /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME
imposta variabile DROPPRIVS a yes
accoda al file $DEFAULT sempre esegui azione
accoda al file /dev/null corrisponde a regexp ^X-Spam-Status: Yes
What do you think?
PS: sorry but my virtualmin is in Italian language
Hmm… could you paste in the output that you get by logging into your server over SSH, and running “cat /etc/procmailrc”.
here the output:
- ?/usr/bin/test “$EXITCODE” = “73”
- ?/usr/bin/test “$VIRTUALMIN” != “”
- ^X-Spam-Status: Yes
Well, outside of the unusual email delivery locations, I don’t see anything else there that sticks out as a problem.
A few questions then –
Do you know if email delivery ever worked on your system?
Is there a particular reason for changing email delivery to go to “/var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME”?
Were there any other email delivery related settings that may have been changed at the same time as that one?
Yes email delivery work even I receive this error.
There is no a particular reason for changing email delivery, my old mailserver was configured like this.
I don’t have other customization I think. I configure spam and virus scanning, all spam and viruses are deleted.
What do you think?
Well, the trouble with changing that default is that the Virtualmin backup process doesn’t expect email to be there… so no email residing outside of /home will be backed up.
Second, I’m not sure that Dovecot would know to look there for email unless you also reconfigure it.
My recommendation would be to keep the various delivery location settings at their defaults or strange things might happen
It’s possible that’s related to the issues you’re seeing now, though I’m not entirely certain. At least as a troubleshooting step, you may want to try reverting those to their default settings and see if email delivery starts working.
backup process work well and also restore step. I already test them and I can backup and restore mailbox files too.
Dovecot doesn’t have problems, every user can download its email and the first it reveices too.
My question is regarding the error message that the sender receive. Temporarily I configure a message for “New Mailbox”, so when it is created the error message is sent to me.
If there is no solution without changing my configuration I think the best way is leave all like now. This is a production mailserver.
Thanks for your support.