Error trying to restore a domain from a backup

Error trying to restore a domain from a backup
I am getting this error when I try to restore a backup from my old server which whas FedoraCore 7 to new server running CentOS 5

Restore failed : The specified source does not contain any domains, or is not a Virtualmin backup

I can unzip the file and seems that all files are there but virtual min refuse to read it ?

Both systems are running Virtualmin 3.59 and are fully updated.

You should be good with a 700MB file, Virtualmin should handle them much larger than even that.

Perhaps the archive just got corrupted?

I might suggest re-performing the backup and trying again (and verify that there’s enough space on the machine performing the backup).
-Eric

Hi

Thanks for that, but I have tried that 4 times now with different backup settings just to see if I was missing a trick but with no luck. Other smaller domains work 100% everytime.

Regards

Denis

Okay, hmm.

Well, what gets me is the "not a valid tar or tar.gz" message.

Do you have some space somewhere where you could untar that archive and see if you receive any error messages while doing so (of course, I recommend creating a temporary directory somewhere so you don’t accidentally overwrite anything and so it’s easy to remove it all later)?

Just a: tar zxvf archive_name.tar.gz

Maybe that will give us a better idea of where it’s going awry.
-Eric

Is it that the backup file is too large ?

Definitely not, as Eric mentioned. A couple of weeks ago someone restored a 35GB backup. I was a little worried. But it seems to have worked, though it took a while. :wink:

2GB would be a possible limit on some systems (if the filesystem doesn’t support large files).

You say smaller domains work…how are you getting the file to the Virtualmin system? The “upload” form is not suitable for large files, as the HTTP protocol just doesn’t handle large POSTs very well (it’ll time out leading to a corrupt file). You’d need to use a reliable mechanism for getting the file onto the system–SSH is the best choice.

Thanks for the comments, We removed some of the files from the website and got the backup down to 650mb and it worked first time at this lower file size.

We did the backup via SSH to the new server and the restored the file locally (exactly the same as our failures)

But now it is done so it is no longer an issue.

Thanks

Denis

Thanks for the comments, We removed some of the files from the website and got the backup down to 650mb and it worked first time at this lower file size.

Weird. I wonder if there’s some sort of timeout at work here. If you ever see the problem again, try the command line restore-domain.pl command, which wouldn’t be subject to browser or webserver timeouts.

I’d recommend filing a bug report, and mentioning that you have the backup file in question (whatever you do, don’t delete it!)

While I unfortunately don’t know what the issue is, Jamie or Joe could probably take one quick look at your file and tell you what’s wrong.
-Eric