Error — perl execution failed

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Debian 12
Webmin version 2.105
Virtualmin version 7.10.0
Related packages SUGGESTED

Hi suddenly I started getting this error in virtual min and it doesn’t load anything, just Dashboard button available.
HTTP/1.0 500 Perl execution failed Server: MiniServ/2.105 Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 10:10:08 GMT Content-type: text/html; Charset=utf-8 Connection: close

ERROR — PERL EXECUTION FAILED

Undefined subroutine &virtual_server::count_domain_aliases called at virtual-server-lib-funcs.pl line 3658.

Any ideas?

Hello,

Can you check a backup of the /etc/webmin directory and make a diff with the current version?

I don’t have any backups

Oh dear! why do folk think this way? :hole:

I understand when you are new and inexperienced that it seems like a waste of time. but most ops will understand pretty quickly that the only way to undo the mess they have created is to roll things back to a good working backup.

I reckon it’s one of those stories that fall into the same category like “Why would I need a strong password?!”

We all have to start somewhere. I think your comments are a little harsh, that said it’s up to you how you view other members of humanity. Personally I have empathy for the OP ( I guess they have learned a lesson ), but mocking the OP does not help in resolving the situation the OP has found themselves in, surly that is what this forum is all about

It really isn’t about mocking someone. And we defo aren’t just two years into computer and IT stuff with nearly no news on mainstream media how incidents could have been avoided by setting up stronger passwords along with MFA (where possible) or this one big data crash would not have resulted in company XYZ’s bankruptcy if they only had proper backups set up.

One must be quite ignorant but brave to play around with a computer/server not really knowing what they’re doing and avoiding backups at all costs.

To me that does sound like you are mocking the OP by calling the OP ignorant each to their own I guess

a little harsh perhaps. but by being harsh the lesson is learned.

but there are basic skills we all should learn before we open the door to the world. I have to make the assumption that everyone that ventures out into that world has learnt enough to at least know not to throw a mains power switch while still twiddling with the wire.

Sure, I’m happy to help where I can, but there are some fundamental things that have to be assumed.

surly that is the point of using a control panel (this takes a lot of the pressure of someone who is learning). But yes you are right you need to research a subject before messing with it, however in this case it’s not 100% sure that the OP actually edited/removed something they shouldn’t, it could be the case of disk corruption or something his provider has done who knows. I guess the idea is to help to fix the problem & not just post unuseful information

I learned a lot about computers years (even decades) before I learned about a “control panel”.

any information can be useful to someone who knows nothing

As you may be of a similar age to me, I was playing with systems before modems were born, not everyone has that hindsight and will rely on a control panel. TBF I blame the introduction of windows version > 3.0 which started to wrap their OS functions in a stupid GUI rather than the previous DOS versions. We are not there anymore things have moved on control panels are now commonplace in many situations … now let’s stop this & try and help the OP

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.