Error - Perl execution failed - Backup failed - try again to a file on the server to see the full error

I’ve installed the latest version of virtualmin on a cloud with centos7. All is working pretty well on this VM.
I cannot however seem to do a backups using the “Download in browser”. virtual memory is below 50% and plenty of space on the VM

This is the following error message

Error - Perl execution failed

Backup failed - try again to a file on the server to see the full error message at /usr/libexec/webmin/web-lib-funcs.pl line 1433.

this link recorded the same problem but no one has commented on it.
https://www.virtualmin.com/node/36087#comment-form

I have done a backup locally on the VM, but if I have enough domains running my space might run thin and this option might not be ideal eventually.

Any ideas?

Downloading to browser can be error-prone, as timeouts can happen with very large files, and we don’t really have a mechanism to restart it if it times out. If the backup succeeds when you do it locally, but fails when dowloading to browser, that’s very likely what’s happening, and I don’t have good suggestions for resolving it aside from getting a faster and more reliable network connection between client and server, or making smaller backups).

Also, note that download to browser still requires all of the space it would require to backup to file…it creates the archive locally and then sends it to the client. I’d recommend either using ssh or something like S3 for backups.

copy that, Thanks Joe
Yes my backup was huge and my internet sadly is terrible where I live.

local backups and pulling it from there works just fine.

Thanks
Guy

I grabbed a cheap storage VPS from LowEndTalk and send my backups there. Lots use Amazon etc, too.