email username logins

I’ve just installed virtualmin for the first time, and after a few little problems when setting up, it seems to be all working. except for one thing, which I cannot work out…

In the virtualmin configuration, I have it set to:
Include domain name in usernames=always
Format for usernames that include domain name= username.domain
Domain name style for usernames= First part of domain

If I set up a new virtual site (eg foo.com) and set the administrator as ‘custom username “user1”’ that works fine, and the user ‘user1’ is configured for login etc.

However, now when I add another email user, and call them ‘user2’, then the login name is set to user2.user1
I would have expected the POP/ftp loginname to be user2.foo

Can you help…please!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

This sounds kinda like a bug. Normally, the domain name and the username of the domain owner are the same (minus the TLD, so virtualmin.com has a user named virtualmin that owns it), and the group for all users is also virtualmin. It’s possible that the user or group is where Virtualmin is getting the bit that it appends. I’ll file a bug and see if Jamie has some further clues–and maybe a fix.

You can keep track of the state of the issue here:

http://www.virtualmin.com/bug-tracker/bug?bug_number=25&f_fix_for_version=

Thanks for this.

I’ve now set up in the way you have described, and this works for me at the moment.

Thanks

I can confirm that as of v.2.90 this issue still exists, unfortunately I didn’t catch the problem until after creating 11 virtual servers.

When creating a new Virtual Server:
Selected Custom username for Administration username.
Group for mailbox users was set to Automatic.
Group for Unix user was set to Same as Group for mail users.

From looking at the Users/Groups and the Postfix mailboxes I can see that they were created with a group name equal to the Custom User name not the domain name (less the .TLD).

Anybody know a good way to change the Group and/or Mail Group names after they’ve been created? I’d hate to have to delete and rebuild each of the virtual servers, but the users will be a little confused by their POP user name of jeff.se7ve7gu7u, as opposed to jeff.thesmiths. From a security standpoint I also like the idea of having the Admin User name not be the same as the domain. But I can buck it up if I need to.

Thanks, Mark

Hello,

Is there any way to setup that users will login to their mailboxes using username@domain.com instead of username.domain?

This would be much more user friendly.