Email on Gmail webpage on Virtualmin

Email is being hosted by Gmail
Webpage is on an ubuntu box with Virtualmin GPL

Online form emails to webinfo@domain.com it does not forward to the gmail account webinfo@domain.com. When I setup a user webinfo on the virtualmin box it works on the virtualmin box but doesn’t get forwarded to Gmail.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Rick

Hey Rick,

I don’t know what you’re asking.

There are many ways to forward mail in Virtualmin, and there are also ways to use the GMail MX records when creating new virtual servers in Virtualmin. It just depends on whether you want all mail for a domain to go to GMail, or if you just want to forward some of your mailboxes to one or more GMail addresses. If using the GMail MX record method, GMail obviously has to be setup to accept mail for your domain–this service is called Google Apps for your Domain.

So what are you actually trying to do?

Email is currently hosted but google apps.
I have a form on a webpage, with a script that emails the info to webinfo@hometownequitymortgage.com
http://www.hometownequitymortgage.com/apply.htm
The form works great, but, Since virtualmin thinks it’s hosting hometownequiytmortgage.com it keeps the email on the server and it never gets to Google apps.
How do I tell virtualmin that Google apps is handling the email?

I hope that clears it up a little.
Thanks for your help
Rick

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have the exact same issue.

I have my DNS/BIND configuration set so using the GMail MX records, which is working. I am able to send and receive mail for my domain. However, just like the original poster, any scripts which send email, which are hosted on my domain, are not actually sending the emails to Gmail, but instead to the local mailbox on the server.

So to recap, I have modified my MX records to Gmail. If I send emails from anywhere else except from my own server, it goes to the GMail inbox. However, if I email from my server to the email address, it never reaches GMail and instead is in my local mailbox.

Any help with this would amazing. I’ve been using cPanel for 6 years solid, and only recently this month switched to VirtualMin. I must say, I am very impressed, and do not miss cPanel at all. This is the only issue so far in which I have been unable to solve without some assistance. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and hopefully one of you will know where I screwed up! :wink:

EDIT:
Hmm, I just found this:
http://www.vyoufinder.com/wordpress/?p=37

It basically talks about doing some Postfix configuration editing. Is this the missing piece of the puzzle? I will try it when I get a few free moments and report back either way.

I followed the advice in the link in my last post. It did not work. I could really use some help, tips, advice or guidelines. Anyone?

Howdy,

If you’d like your email to be hosted externally, you’d need to do two things.

First is to change the MX record, which it sounds like you’ve done.

Second, you’d need to go into Edit Virtual Server -> Enable Features, and disable the Mail for Domain feature.

If Mail for Domain is enabled, that would cause emails to be delivered locally regardless of the MX record settings.

-Eric