Email is not making it to user boxes...

I am not quite sure what is going on here. Mail was working fine until Friday. I ran the updates from last week on Friday and I was also working on getting SMTP working for a client. Now nothing is working. If you send an email to a user (from outside of server) the message doesn’t bounce…however…it never makes it to the user. I have a really frustrated client (given I didn’t the problem existed until a short while ago).

I have checked error logs and here is what I get:

evs1 postfix/smtpd[22511]: fatal: parameter “smtpd_recipient_restrictions”: specify at least one working instance of: check_relay_domains, reject_unauth_destination, reject, defer or defer_if_permit
Aug 4 14:45:09 evs1 postfix/master[4639]: warning: process /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd pid 22511 exit status 1
Aug 4 14:45:09 evs1 postfix/master[4639]: warning: /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd: bad command startup – throttl

over and over…

Any ideas?

Aha, thanks for the error, that helps.

What do you get if you type:

grep smtpd_recipient_restrictions /etc/postfix/

A typical default setup (without greylisting) might look like this:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated reject_unauth_destination

grep smtpd_recipient_restrictions /etc/postfix/


smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated

I just cant figure out where the emails are…lol They don’ even show up in the mailbox when I check via webmin control panel. The last emails that show up are the ones received before 2:30 last Friday. They weren’t denied or bounced.

IMAP/POP3 logins are working–as far as I can tell. I can login to check for mail via Thunderbird…and I can see in the logs where my client is logging…but that is it. No messages are being delivered to client.



like the log says, you need to have at least one reject rule.

add this to your config…reject_unauth_destination, see eric’s post (andreychek)

I thought I had added the comment in the config file…for some reason it did not save when I clicked to save…no idea what happened.

Problem solved…

Thanks y’all!!