Email "homes" directory permissions mangled and MySQL grant issue after Virtualmin to Virtualmin restore

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Ubuntu 20.04 REQUIRED
1.973 REQUIRED
6.16 REQUIRED
MySQL 5.5 + MySQL 8 RECOMMENDED

I’m having an impossible time restoring a Virtualmin to Virtualmin backup.

We have a paid unlimited license and I tried to “Submit Support Ticket” but it failed:

Sending support ticket to virtualmin.com
… failed with HTTP error : HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

Here is the problem:

On the source server I only selected:

• Server’s home directory and web pages
  • Mail/FTP users and mail aliases

When I restore the error is:

Restore failed : SQL grant all on taloomaxyz_db.* to 'xyzrshack'@'localhost' with grant option failed : You are not allowed to create a user with GRANT

The aborted backup has the following effect on the homes directory, in that users are intertwined with other virtual server users, and sometimes numeric:

root@server:/home/xyzshsackdand/homes# ls -lah
total 28K
drwxr-xr-x  7 xyzshsackdand                xyzshsackdand 4.0K Jan  6  2020 .
drwxr-x--- 13 xyzshsackdand                xyzshsackdand 4.0K Aug  8 11:23 ..
drwxr-x---  4 admin@xyzshsackdand.co.za    xyzshsackdand 4.0K Aug  6  2018 admin
drwxr-x---  4 xyzshack                     xyzshsackdand 4.0K Aug  6  2018 gearshack
drwxr-x---  6 peet@xyzshsackdand.co.za     xyzshsackdand 4.0K Aug  6  2018 pedro
drwxr-x---  4 martin@random.co.za          xyzshsackdand 4.0K Aug  6  2018 peet_savic_gear
drwxr-x---  4                         2814 xyzshsackdand 4.0K Dec 23  2019 sales

For example, see the @random.co.za user, and the 2814 user. Those respectively should be:

peet_savic_gear and sales@xyzshsackdand.co.za

My synopsis is that:

1. Virtualmin ignores that I didn’t specify MySQL. I was explicit about not doing a MySQL backup nor restore yet it always tries to and fails.

2. Virtualmin has issues converting a MariaDB 5.5 database to a MySQL 8 database due to the new grant permission changes in MySQL 8 and is unable to recover.

3. Due to an aborted backup user permissions end up being wrong causing mission critical email failures.

I’ve done around 260 backups and restores from 4 servers over the last thee months and this problem keeps on cropping up. Its rare, but when it happens I really struggle to recover.

In some instances I was able to use chown to manually assign the correct permissions, but for this one domain it fails as the user simply isn’t there.

Please assist.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.