Email accounts locked

I’m running Virtualmin Pro and I keep getting random email account lock outs; when I look at the account the disk quota will be in red, but then I look into the account and it only has one maybe two emails in it; they say NONE. I look at the folder in a file browser and do not see anything in any folder.

UPDATE: I moved this to a new server, still running CentOS 5.4; now I’m getting this error message: An error occurred listing mail in this folder : Failed to login to POP3 server : Authentication failed. Note: I’m not getting the disk quota in red now; but the account is still locked.

This is only one account, I have deleted it and created a new one; it will work for a while then do this again.

I don’t see any way to fix this but to delete that account and create a new one.

How do I fix this from happening?

Hmm, regarding the disk space issues, is it possible that the Spam or Junk folders are filling up?

As far as the accounts not allowing you in – do you see any messages/errors in /var/log/maillog or /var/log/secure during the time you’re attempting to log in?

-Eric

The spam and junk box is empty; in fact, so is the inbox, at least wise as far as the physical folder goes.

I see this error:

Jan 17 00:20:04 servername dovecot-auth: pam_unix(dovecot:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=dovecot ruser= rhost=::ffff:68.108.125.59 user=myemailaccount.mydomain

Hrm… well, that error doesn’t show a heck of a lot of details, does it :slight_smile:

Here’s a wild guess – in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf, do you see “disable_plaintext_auth” set at all?

You may want to explicitly set it to no, like so:

disable_plaintext_auth = no

And then restart Dovecot:

/etc/init.d/dovecot restart