dynamic dns updates like in a microsoft AD?

Hi is it possible to have a setup like a microsoft AD whereby when a computer logs onto to the domain it sends its up and host name to the AD DNS server which automtically registers it. That way any other computer can find each other on the internal network via dns.

Is this possible with bind9, virtualmin etc?

Is this possible with bind9, virtualmin etc?

Virtualmin is not in this particular business. It isn’t, at all, intended to be an intranet or authentication or directory server.

BIND does support dynamic DNS updates, and Webmin has full support for BIND…but I don’t know if there is an easy to use client for Windows that knows about such things. I’m very much the wrong guy to ask about Windows networks. It’s been years since I’ve seen a Windows server.

Maybe someone else has more experience in this area and will chime in.

But, I did think it worth mentioning that you’re barking up the wrong tree with Virtualmin in this context…it’s just not designed for that kind of work.

You might ought to be looking at Samba. It seems to be intended to replace Windows servers for various tasks on an intranet. Webmin has a module for Samba, as well.

You are 100% correct. I just re-read my question and don’t know what I was thinking. Totally out of context for virtualmin.