Dovecot Configuration Error comes back after fix

Dovecot stopped working… the error on restart was:

Starting Dovecot Imap: doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf: Missing '}' (section started at /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:183)

This error was a missing closing bracket:

local_name somedomain.co.uk {
  ssl_cert = </home/somedomain/ssl.combined
  ssl_key = </home/somedomain/ssl.key

I added the closing bracket in manually, restarted Dovecot and it works:

local_name somedomain.co.uk {
  ssl_cert = </home/somedomain/ssl.combined
  ssl_key = </home/somedomain/ssl.key
}

BUT… the error occurred again, the bracket was removed and Dovecot stopped.

Why would Dovecot have this mistake and what is re-creating it so I can permanently fix?

It started happening shortly after running a yum update on Monday 27th July 2020.

There’s a thread about this:

It’s related to the SSL updates. I’ve taken to checking dovecot.conf while having my coffee every morning. I’m even thinking about making it immutable for the time being until whatever buggy code is causing the problem is fixed.

Richard

Thanks for posting that link! Will monitor it.

This issue must be fixed in Virtualmin 6.11!

Is this the update?
wbm-virtual-server-6.11.gpl-1.noarch.rpm

The 6.11 update didn’t quite do it, unfortunately.

As of yesterday, Jamie and Ilia were working on a patch. I applied it and it seemed to work, but I think it was more for diagnostic purposes than final code.

It also seems that duplicate entries or *.ca entries in dovecot.conf are contributing to the errors. Manually tidying up that file may be a stopgap.

Richard

After latest updates issue still exist. Debian 9 Virtualmin 6.11.
Maybe restart of dovecot or certbot is needed?

I’m also having this problem om 2 different servers. Fully updated systems. It is very annoying. Hopefully it can be fixed quickly.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.