Dovecot configuration - cannot connect email clients

I have dovecot running on virtualmin.

• I can send mail from the server, via the Usermin webmail interface
  • I can also send mail to the server, and see it in webmai.

However, I have been unsuccessful in connecting on mail client to either IMAP or POP3.
The only changes to default dovecot configuration are these:

• 10-auth.conf. disable_plaintext_auth = no

• 10-ssl.conf

local_name mail.redacted.com {
    ssl_cert = </etc/letsencrypt/live/redacted.com/fullchain.pem
    ssl_key = </etc/letsencrypt/live/redacted.com/privkey.pem
    }

What the maillog show when trying to connect an email client is:

imap-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 5 secs): user=<admin@redacted.com>, method=PLAIN
pop3-login: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts in 12 secs): user=<admin@redacted.com>, method=PLAIN

Hi,

Considering what you mentioned on Virtualmin Issue tracker for Pro users, and that you were getting certificate error message, as connecting to Dovecot to fetch mail, here is what you need to do - you don’t need to edit dovecot.conf or 10-ssl.conf manually; delete those directives with local_name you added manually, then go to Virtualmin/domainname/SSL Certificate page and open its Service Certificates tab. There you will find a table with Domain service certificates title. All you need is to enable it for Dovecot, hit Save button and it will place the right certificate and key in configuration files.

Note: In the future we will place all SSL related directives in 10-ssl.conf file as expected but for now it is saved in general dovecot.conf file.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.