Done with Webmin, loose step on Install Virtualmin + Usermin

Hi,

This is my very first time using unmanaged VPS. Ive got Centos 5.3 with OpenVZ.
Im finish installing Webmin and a module APACHE, BIND, MySQL, and mail module (ive forgot) automatic from webmin module.

Basicly i need run website. And i thought Virtualmin is make more easy for management, isnt it ?

For one and another reason that i dont know, even i have read this http://swelltech.com/support/virtual-servers/index.html im really confused that i cant continue to next step install.

I know it will easy to drop webmin and start with http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/installation/automated but i thing i will learn so much if i have asked here.

just asked me anything, but please make sure you have include a suggestion like command that i must run! Start with im blind in linux @all.

Thanks.

PS : My box is Centos 5.3 64 bit
RAM 768

UPDATE

again…
ive make it done by my self.

I have use this
http://download.webmin.com/download/virtualmin/virtual-server-3.54.gpl.wbm.gz
and works to install with my webmin. Thanks God.

But when i need to Re-Check and refresh configuration

it said
Failed to save enabled features : Virtualmin is configured to setup DNS zones, but this system is not setup to use itself as a DNS server. Either add 127.0.0.1 to the list of DNS servers, or turn off the BIND feature on the module config page.

any idea about this one ?

and also,
i have xxx.com which have pointing to nameserver of my VPS.
When i have opened the ip, there are screen of APACHE. But when i have opened domain it said, cant retrieve or too long respond.

Please help :slight_smile:

Thanks.

================================================

UPDATE :
ive put index.html and evrything just fine. its works! but i need to know how can i managed a site like me and my experience using whm/cpanel

thanks.

again…
ive make it done by my self.

I have use this
http://download.webmin.com/download/virtualmin/virtual-server-3.54.gpl.wbm.gz
and works to install with my webmin. Thanks God.

But when i need to Re-Check and refresh configuration

it said
Failed to save enabled features : Virtualmin is configured to setup DNS zones, but this system is not setup to use itself as a DNS server. Either add 127.0.0.1 to the list of DNS servers, or turn off the BIND feature on the module config page.

any idea about this one ?

Sounds like you just need to do what the message says there :slight_smile:

Either add 127.0.0.1 to the list of DNS Servers, or disable BIND.

It sounds like you said you’re doing a manual installation; if that’s true, make sure you’ve taken a peek at this guide:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/installation/manual

Be sure to check out the “BIND” section, amongst others.

-Eric

On /etc/resolv.conf
ive put this
++++++++++++
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 1stTheipOfMyVps
nameserver 2ndTheipOfMyVps
++++++++++++
the question is :

1. is it a right one ?
  2. ive got 2 nameserver for pointing my domain to VPS, should i paste it or just put the ip ?
    Example :
    NS0.VIRTUALMIN.COM or 70.86.4.226 ?

And
Ive try to install usermin and heres the error.

Failed to upgrade from www.usermin.com : Failed to lookup IP address for. From what ive read

maybe its all because of etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Auto-generated hostname. Please do not remove this comment.

x.120.x.18 namedomain.com
xx.73.xx.146 d1.namedomain.com
xx.73.xx.147 d2.namedomaincom

any suggestion, wellcome…

It sounds like your DNS isn’t working.

You should be able to type this command:

host software.virtualmin.com

And you should see a response that includes the following:

software.virtualmin.com has address 67.228.198.99

If that doesn’t work, something regarding DNS isn’t working right :slight_smile:

At that points, I’d verify the contents of your /etc/resolv.conf file. For example, you might comment out everything but the 127.0.0.1 entry. Also make sure BIND is running.

-Eric

Hi andreychek,
Thanks for reply, anyway here what ive got…

[root@mybox /]# host software.virtualmin.com
software.virtualmin.com has address 67.228.198.99

any idea about whats happen to me ? i just found

here the latest recheck when ive finish install virtualmin

The status of your system is being checked to ensure that all enabled features are available, that the mail server is properly configured, and that quotas are active …

Mail server Postfix is installed and configured.

Apache is installed.

Webalizer is installed.

MySQL is installed and running.

Logrotate is installed.

Using network interface venet0 for virtual IPs.

Default IP address for virtual servers is xx.120.xx.18.

The module could not find the mount point for your home directories filesystem /home. Quotas editing has been disabled.

Shell /bin/false for FTP users is not included in /etc/shells, which may prevent FTP access.

All commands needed to create and restore backups are installed.

… your system is ready for use by Virtualmin.

Yup, that much looks good then… so what isn’t working properly at the moment?

-Eric

just wondering when ive try
nslookup mydomain.com

[root@mybox/]# nslookup mydomain.com
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

i guess its because of /etc/resolv.conf or /etc/hosts

any idea what i must wrote on both of this files ?

Someone please :slight_smile:

and still when i need to open mydomain.com from my lovely firefox it said :

Server not found
Firefox can’t find the server at www.Mydomain.com.
* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

*   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
      connection.

*   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
      that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Thanks.

Yup, that’s all working as expected.

It’s not the hosts file, nslookup uses what is in your /etc/resolv.conf file to determine what site to use for DNS.

For more information on those two files, you can type “man hosts” and “man resolv.conf”.

-Eric

im still confused, whats would be wrong in my box right now.

and still when i need to open mydomain.com from my lovely firefox it said :

Is this server setup as a nameserver, or is there an alternate DNS server that hosts the DNS for your domain?

Sounds like you may need to check the DNS settings by plugging in your domain name into this site:

http://intodns.com

Hi Sir,

Ive got this error…

2.[QUOTE]DNS servers responded ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:
The ones that did not responded are:
76.xx.53.146 76.xx.53.147[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Missing nameservers reported by your nameservers You should already know that your NS records at your nameservers are missing, so here it is again:

vpsdns1.xxx.com.
vpsdns2.xxx.com. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]WWW A Record ERROR: I could not get any A records for www.mydomain.com!

(I only do a cache request, if you recently added a WWW A record, it might not show up here.) [/QUOTE]

Suggestion would be wellcome :slight_smile:

Well, just go through all those, one by one, and work on addressing each of them :slight_smile:

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask them.

To get you started, we’ll look at the first two of those:

1. One or more of your nameservers did not return any of your NS records.

Your nameservers have to have NS records added to the DNS. So if your nameservers are ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com, you need to go into the example.com Virtual Server, and add a DNS NS (Name Server) record for each of those in Services -> DNS Domain.

2. DNS servers responded ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond: The ones that did not responded are: 76.xx.53.146 76.xx.53.147

Sounds like you have some nameservers set for your domain that aren’t responding. You’ll need to verify the nameservers you have set for the domain at your registrar.

That should get you started – but just go through the list, read through the error, and resolve the issue it’s describing.

One thing I might recommend is reading up on DNS. A great book in that department is O’Reilly’s “DNS and BIND”.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for your help from a start till the end. im almost give up with this situation. Just wish me luck

Hey Bud take your time on this also… Bind is not that hard but it can be a pain in the butt… if you need any help we are all here to help you out… like eric said go though each one and fix each one… and it should work after that… if you need any help just post on here we will see what we can do to help… or you can also email me and i can see what i can do to help… sales@lynkerworld.com if you need anything…
John