Domain name not resolving

Hello, I’ve installed webmin and virtualmin and didn’t run into any problems. Webmin and virtualmin both work fine and I can login at https://serverip:10000. Apache, BIND DNS, Postfix, Dovecot, ProFTPd, and MySQL are all running.

Note: domainexample.com is just an example domain

I registered a domain (domainexample.com). I created a virtual server for my domain in virtualmin and that went smoothly. I also created ns1.domainexample.com and ns1.domainexample.com with my domain registrar (namecheap.com) and pointed them to my server ip. Then I made sure the nameservers associated with domainexample.com were ns1.domainexample.com and ns2.domainexample.com. It has been 24 hours since I did this.

My question is, domainexample.com is not resolving and I was wondering if there is some steps I may have missed when setting this up? Is there anywhere I can look to help diagnose this problem? For example, in virtualmin -> services -> DNS Domain, domainexample.com has it’s address set to 127.0.0.1. Is this correct? Or should it be pointing to my server’s ip?

In Webmin -> Servers -> Apache Webserver, I see Default Server with address "Any", where as the Virtual Server (domainexample.com) has the address "127.0.0.1".

Thanks a bunch

Which network interface do I use? When I set it to Detect automatically in the Virtualmin Module Config the "re-check and refresh config" fails with the error "No Ethernet interface could be automatically found on your system. Use the module configuration page to set the interface manually". So I have to choose it manually under Network interface for virtual addresses

There are 3 available to choose from:
lo Loopback 127.0.0.1
venet0 Unknown 127.0.0.1
venet0:0 Unknown (Virtual) serverip

When I choose venet0 and load up http://serverip, I am taken to the apache home dir (/var/www/html)

When I choose venet0:0 and load up http://serverip, I am taken to domainexample’s home directory /home/domainexample.com/public_html. www.domainexample.com still tells me unable to connect when I load it<br><br>Post edited by: Jeebus, at: 2008/02/21 07:43

There is a couple of things I would try here. First go outside of webmin and check your network configurations. Make sure that at least one the network interfaces is configured and activated. Restart the computer. Recheck and make sure it is still activated. Now check the network configuration in webmin. You should see lo Loopback 127.0.0.1 and your computer ip number, eth0 or eht1,etc with a netmask. If activate at boot says no, change that setting.

One other thing to do is make sure that there is a default page in /var/www/html.

What is the command to view my network configurations from the console?

I ran system-network-config and see 3 devices:

venet0 127.0.0.1
venet0:0 myserverip
eth0 no ip listed

What should the ip be of my virtual servers?

127.0.0.1? Or should it be the ip address of my server (example: 123.123.123.123)?

Been trying to debug this for 3 days straight now. Starting to get really annoying :confused:

Virtualmin -> Create virtual server -> IP address and forwarding -> Network Interface

This says "Shared, on IP 127.0.0.1"

Is this correct? I just need a yes/no answer to help give me an idea of what is wrong.

btw, the edit button on this forum is broken (clicking the edit button on my last post (#10445) takes me to the edit page for my 2nd post (#10428)).

Answers…

Virtualmin -> Create virtual server -> IP address and forwarding -> Network Interface

This says "Shared, on IP 127.0.0.1"

Is this correct? I just need a yes/no answer to help give me an idea of what is wrong.

No, the ip should point to your server.

What should the ip be of my virtual servers?

127.0.0.1? Or should it be the ip address of my server (example: 123.123.123.123)?

"ifconfig -a" works in linux and unix, "ipconfig /all" on windows

Jeebus wrote:

Hello, I've installed webmin and virtualmin and didn't run into any problems. Webmin and virtualmin both work fine and I can login at https://serverip:10000. Apache, BIND DNS, Postfix, Dovecot, ProFTPd, and MySQL are all running.

Note: domainexample.com is just an example domain

I registered a domain (domainexample.com). I created a virtual server for my domain in virtualmin and that went smoothly. I also created ns1.domainexample.com and ns1.domainexample.com with my domain registrar (namecheap.com) and pointed them to my server ip. Then I made sure the nameservers associated with domainexample.com were ns1.domainexample.com and ns2.domainexample.com. It has been 24 hours since I did this.

My question is, domainexample.com is not resolving and I was wondering if there is some steps I may have missed when setting this up? Is there anywhere I can look to help diagnose this problem? For example, in virtualmin -> services -> DNS Domain, domainexample.com has it’s address set to 127.0.0.1. Is this correct? Or should it be pointing to my server’s ip?

In Webmin -> Servers -> Apache Webserver, I see Default Server with address "Any", where as the Virtual Server (domainexample.com) has the address "127.0.0.1".

Thanks a bunch

Wow,
I’ll go back to here. First, read other posts on nameservers. Don’t try to run multiple nameservers on the same box.

If you use ifconfig -a all the NICs should show up, if one doesn’t then you have a hardware problem and your NIC isn’t installed.

You can’t even find the NIC assigned the IP, so some basic helpdesk questions. Is your server even connected to the fast ethernet, or even plugged in at all (check your cable, see if a connection light is on). I always recommend trying to make an intenet connection from the base server (nslookup, ping yahoo, something internet related) before complaining about VM.It looks very much like the IP address you’re trying to use isn’t even turned on or assigned. If you can access the internet then use Webmin to fix the assignments.

If you can access VM then go to webmin, then network, then network config and start at the beginning to make sure that your IP and correct hostname and addresses are there. You will find the network configuration all there. If you don’t find your IP listed then it’s not going to bring up on the interface. Correctly fill in the blanks. Reboot the computer. Your interface should show your IP now and shared should also show it.

hope that helps,
Dan