Domain name creating a download file

Virtualmin and Webmin are the same thing in this context; they use the same code. If you got an error in Virtualmin, you’ll get an error in Webmin. I didn’t see the error you’re talking about…but, it looks like your dump is incomplete. It’s trying to add to a table that does not exist. If you have a complete dump, it will create all tables for the rows to be inserted.

Er, it’s also possible your dump has the database name in it, in addition to table names. In which case, you’d either have to fix that (modify the SQL file to not specify database) or you’d have to create a database with the exact name you exported from, and then import into it.

Thank you. I will try to create a database with the same name as the dump, if the issue persists when using Webmin.

I just read this. This is the error “mysqlimport: Error: 1146, Table ‘xi_db.martis-9’ doesn’t exist, when using table: martis-9”

I will just create a db with the same name as the dump.

Take also care newer mysql mariadb used in newer OS versions have other defaults, for example you have to disable sometimes strict then.

As said before “adminer” tool could help also , if you have good user acces and DB user rights

Naming the database as the dump made no difference. I decided to start everything from scratch in the order below:

1. I re-installed a new Ubuntu 20.04 on the server
  2. I installed Virtualmin
  3. I Navigated to Webmin/Server/MySql Database Server configuration page
  4. I entered 16 MB in the Query cache size in bytes field and selected “Default”, 512MB in the Maximum packet size filed and selected “Default”, and 16 kB in the MyISAM sort buffer size field and selected “Default”
  5. When I clicked on “Save and Restart my Sql” I got the error below.

" Failed to save MySQL server options :
Job for mysql.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See “systemctl status mysql.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details."

1. I went back and clicked on “My Sql Database Server” and this is the error there now:

" Error! MySQL is not running on your system - database list could not be retrieved.

MySQL error messageThe full MySQL error message was : DBI connect failed : Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2)

It looks like MySQL is not working properly.

systemctl status mysql.service
● mysql.service - MySQL Community Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mysql.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (start) since Tue 2021-12-07 04:41:37 EST; 743ms ago
Process: 89827 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/mysql/mysql-systemd-start pre (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 89835 (mysqld)
Tasks: 30 (limit: 9485)
Memory: 352.1M
CGroup: /system.slice/mysql.service
└─89835 /usr/sbin/mysqld

Dec 07 04:41:37 vmi734854.contaboserver.net systemd[1]: Starting MySQL Community Server…

I have to ask: Are you formatting your drive when you reinstall your OS and putting a fresh install of Virtualmin on it when you’re done? I mean, you’ve “reinstalled” Ubuntu two times already in this thread but you’ve not mentioned anything about reinstalling Virtualmin.

Virtualmin needs to be installed on a fresh, supported, unaltered, unmodified install of a supported OS. If it isn’t, God only knows what sort of problems you’re going to have.

I do a clean installation of the OS first, wiping everything on the hard drive.

Are you adding anything to it?

For instance, when it comes to the screen about services to add, are you checking anything at all or just clicking continue?

You should not add ANYTHING AT ALL.

Virtualmin will add everything you need, so if you started getting click happy and adding on features, you’ve messed up. Go back, do it again and add ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Edit to add:

Add NOTHING on that screen.

I did not add anything to it. After installing the OS with webmin as a package, I just installed Virtualmin via ssh.
So, you recommend 1) to just install the OS alone? 2) Install Virtualmin (which will install Webmin)?

After you install Ubuntu there are two commands to run.

wget https://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh

And then

sudo /bin/sh install.sh

That’s it.

OK, I will try that tonight and update the result here; thanks for the input.

1 Like

Was MySQL running OK before you made this change?

Did that give any meaningful errors to work on?

Reading from the beginning. You may/ or have multiple issues. I would deal with one and close off before moving to the next or try to fix everything in one go. When moving a database, ideally - versions must be the same including setup. If not, unless you are an expert - newer setup will have configs amended/changed which the import may not consider, or you have to ‘fix’ the imported database to make it current.

Got the same error after doing exactly what you said.

Stop reinstalling. Obviously something is broken in a default install on Ubuntu; I guess something new, as I haven’t seen it before.

But, at this point, I have no idea what the hell we’re trying to fix. This thread is all over the damned place.

Are we trying to solve database problems? PHP problems? What are you trying to fix by reinstalling over and over?

You could test it from your side.

1. Install Ubuntu 20.04 on a server
  2. Via SSH

wget https://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh

sudo /bin/sh install.sh

1. Log in and Navigate to Webmin/Server/MySql Database Server configuration page.
  2. Enter 16 MB in the Query cache size in bytes field and select“Default”, 512MB in the Maximum packet size field and select “Default”, and 64 kB in the MyISAM sort buffer size field and select “Default”
  3. Click on “Save and Restart my Sql” and you will that error.

That’s a third or fourth problem in one topic? I can’t keep up with this. Please open new topics for new problems.