DNS Zones Creation

Hi,

I have two vps (test & production). test server adds DNS Zones automatically for a domain after I add a virtual server in virtualmin. However, on the second server I have to manually create Master zone and add records one by one.
I have no idea which option I’ve enabled in the test system!!! Any idea?

Thanks

Howdy,

Virtualmin should create DNS zones for you by default… however, it’s possible the DNS feature was disabled.

When you create a new domain, is the “DNS domain enabled” feature enabled within that Virtual Server?

-Eric

Where is that option located?

When you click “Create Virtual Server”, it’s in the “Enabled features” section of that screen.

-Eric

Available options are:
Accept mail for domain? Setup website for domain?
Setup Webalizer for web logs? Setup SSL website too?
Create MySQL database? Setup IP-based virtual FTP?
Setup spam filtering? Setup virus filtering?
Create Webmin login?

But that option is available in the test VPS!!!
Should I install a module for that?

Howdy,

When using the install.sh script to setup Virtualmin, all the necessary modules should be installed, and DNS zones would be enabled by default.

It sounds like the DNS feature may have been disabled though.

Try looking in System Settings -> Features and Plugins, and see if the “BIND DNS Domain” feature is there, but disabled.

If it’s disabled, you would want to re-enable it.

Once it’s re-enabled, you should then be able to create a new Virtual Server with the DNS feature checked.

-Eric

I found that feature but when I tried to enable it:

“Failed to save enabled features : Virtualmin is configured to setup DNS zones, but this system is not setup to use itself as a DNS server. Either add 127.0.0.1 to the list of DNS servers, or turn off the BIND feature on the module config page.”

And when I add 127.0.0.1 to “Hostname and DNS Client” it forgets !!!
FYI I have Centos 6.5, Webmin 1.690, Virtualmin 4.08.gpl

Howdy,

What if you manually add the entry to /etc/resolv.conf, does it stay in there at that point?

You can do that by logging into your server over SSH as root, use a text file to edit /etc/resolv.conf, and then add this entry:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

Howdy,

What if you manually add the entry to /etc/resolv.conf, does it stay in there at that point?

You can do that by logging into your server over SSH as root, use a text file to edit /etc/resolv.conf, and then add this entry:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

I added the phrase but each time it forgets with reboot
I attached a snap-shot of the hostname/dns hoping for some solution!

Depending on your distro, it might be necessary to put the nameserver in /etc/network/interfaces. /etc/resolv.conf is automatically generated on some distros.

Another reason might be that your nameservers get overwritten by the DHCP client, if your server doesn’t have a static IP address.