DNS slave / cluster slave server problem

Hi,

I’m trying to set up a second server as slave dns / cluster slave server. The main server is runing VM 3.59 Pro on CentOS 5.2, the slave VM 3.59 gpl on Debian 4. According to “Re-Check Config” everything is fine on both servers. But when I try to setup the “Cluster Slave Server” in my VM-Pro installation, I get the following message:

Adding a.b.c.d ..

Added a.b.c.d, with 0 existing zones.

Setup a.b.c.d with 0 new slave zones, but encountered 73 errors :
a.b.c.d : BIND module is not set up

Where can I find these error messages? Any log I checked didn’t show them.

Any idea what I can do to fix this?

Thanks

Gerald

i can find logs at /var/logs and /var/webmin

assuming the website is unicum-consulting.ch, I can see two nameservers pointing to it.

The remote server a.b.c.d. does not have BIND installed or the module config is not right hince the error "BIND module is not set up".

Have you followed this guide?

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/id,dns_slave_auto-configuration_quickstart/

Joe, I followed the guide, doesn’t work for me.

sgrayban, BIND is running and according to "Re-Check Config" setup correctly.

when i had troubles with the slave system, jamie advised me to make the /var/named/slaves or the /var/named/chroot/var/named/slaves folder world-rightable.

the ‘slaves’ folder is 0770 and belongs to named:named
the other folders are 0750 and belong to root:named

this works for me anyways.

when i had troubles with the slave system, jamie advised me to make the /var/named/slaves or the /var/named/chroot/var/named/slaves folder world-rightable.

Jamie’s a little too fond of the ol’ “chmod 777”.

I’m sure there’s a better ownership and permission combo that’ll work fine.

Possible named:named and 750 or 770.

that’s what I wrote :wink:

world-writable isn’t world-readable hehe

world-writable isn't world-readable hehe

World-writable is worse than world-readable. :wink:

But, yes, your examples are correct. I failed to continue reading after the "world-writable" part. :wink: