DNS records export records option (non-existent)

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version CentOS 7.9
Webmin version 1.861
Virtualmin version 7.5

I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction I have been using virtual men for some time now and well it has been a complete learning curve, It has been very enjoyable and I continue to use it to this day.

But on this occasion, I’m going to have to reach out and ask if anybody can point me in the right direction this time because this one in particular problem, has me bamboozled and can’t seem to find the right answer, but as the saying goes when you try to fix something for too long and don’t take a break you don’t see the problem staring you directly in the face, but here goes.

So when I set up a brand-new host, I tend to put everything through cloud flare as I’m sure many do.

This is, where some of the head-scratching starts and asking myself what am I doing wrong. Normally when I add a new domain to cloud flare when using WHM, it sees the DNS records on config and automatically adds them. However, on Virtualmin, it never sees the Records or config, also Virtualmin system is hosted on a VPS in the cloud, not on site.

I have checked and ruled out any firewall issues that would stop connection and checked the logs. Also for potential issues with connection but cannot find anything.

I then end up having to enter the DNS records into cloud flare, manually, unlike WHM which automatically, pulls them from the server and adds them to the service.

I have also been looking for an option inside the GUI to download the records in DNS Records to upload to cloud flare instead of having to enter them manually which can be time consuming, but cannot find this option. Is there a setting that needs to be switched on manually for this to happen or is it a security feature that was never added to the GUI?

Is there something I am not configuring properly for this to happen, I have even checked the name server configurations within the system and everything seems to resolve properly. I really cannot understand why every time I have to set up a new system that this happens please can somebody point me in the right direction it’s driving me crazy.

That’s the way you’re going to have to do it for now and it’s the way I’ve always done it.

I know @Joe and the gang at Virtualmin are working on having full Cloudflare implementation in Virtualmin soon so that it will do exactly what you’re talking about. In fact, they may have it already in the Pro edition, but I’m not sure.

I’ve tagged Joe on this and he would definitely know for sure if and when it’s going to be available.

1 Like

Virtualmin Pro does have Cloudflare DNS support (i.e. it creates your DNS records in Cloudflare rather than a local BIND instance).

And, Virtualmin does have a Suggested DNS Records page…but I believe that only appears if it doesn’t believe it is hosting DNS locally.

So, if you are using Virtualmin GPL and you are not managing DNS locally, turn off that feature in Features and Plugins, and I believe you’ll get the Suggested DNS Records page. (If using Pro, you can set it up to manage Cloudflare DNS.)

2 Likes

Thank you that was so helpful truly appreciate everyone’s help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.