Devuan Linux question

Is this considered a grade A Supported distribution?

If its not in the docs its not supported. I’ve never heard of that OS.

No. The grade A supported operating systems are listed. There are no secretly supported operating systems.

I was curious – a google search says it is a fork of Debian where systemd has been removed and replaced with the older sysV init framework … their tag line I think is

Init Freedom

I guess some out there really don’t like systemd :slight_smile:

We have no plans to add more distros to our supported list, as we are overwhelmed already supporting the ones we support. It’s probably a mistake to support so many, from an economic standpoint, and most of our competitors don’t try to support so many distros even though they have a lot more resources.

But if we did add any other operating systems, Devuan is extremely far down the list. Nix or SUSE are probably the closest thing to a contender, for different reasons. Nix just because I think it’s neat, SUSE because it is pretty popular and people who spend money on software use it, and we need more people who are willing to spend money on software. Devuan is neither neat nor popular or used by people who spend money on software.

I have no interest in going backward for a tiny niche OS, just because a handful of folks are unwilling to learn a few new things to use systemd. systemd has its annoyances, but it’s remarkably more fit for purpose and enjoyable to work with than initscripts ever were (I can’t believe anyone who ever had to maintain a bunch of initscripts would want to go back to it, but people often confuse me). I like how short and simple systemd unit files are, I like that it’s parallel so the system can generally boot faster, I like how much more reliable writing services from scratch is, I like that logging is basically free for server builders, I like how much data about a running system can be figured out with a handful of commands, and I like that interacting with everything is always the same (assuming everything has a systemd unit). Also, dependencies are much more reasonable in systemd. It was hard to get dependencies right with initscripts. Still hard sometimes with systemd because dependencies in complex systems are hard, but it could take dozens or hundreds of lines of code to deal with in initscripts (and you’d still probably fuck it up for months or years before finally getting it to handle all the edge cases correctly).

In short: I’m not wasting my time on maintaining backward compatibility with initscripts. We have to keep doing it in Webmin, because Webmin works on the BSDs and other UNIXen that are still SysV or whatever, but the Virtualmin installer has no such requirement.

3 Likes

How many 99 prefixes can you have? :wink: It was discussion here about how systemd actually checks the running state of pre-requsite loads that finally made me realize that something like systemd was inevitable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.