Desperate migration leaves a few users with mail bouncing...

BACKGROUND: A user uploaded a hostile PHP script as part of a WordPress style and a huge number of Spam emails were flung through my server, rendering that IP blacklisted as a mail source. Our provider Rackspace was very helpful here, and I made an emergency move to a new server on a new IP address.

I quickly realized that just trying to migrate all domains would exhaust my disk space (I had only 30% free space on the server) so I migrated one at a time - but I’m now believing that I failed to copy some system information that way.

Things pretty well worked almost immediately - for some reason, some people’s SQL passwords needed changing, I’m sure that’s because I didn’t do the whole shebang, but that was easily fixed.

I have the old and new server running “side by side” until everything is resolved.

PROBLEM:
A few people’s emails are still bouncing and I frankly have no idea what the issue could be.

I think it’s only what I call “dotted users” - people whose Unix user name and domain-specific user names are different.

My server is root.ax.to (.to is Tonga but I don’t live there :-D) and one of the users I’m having an issue with is stephan@oddnoise.com, whose Unix user name is stephan.oddnoise.

I see errors like this.

May 8 14:40:07 root postfix/error[10050]: AE27D20115: to=stephan.oddnoise@root.ax.to, orig_to=stephan@oddnoise.com, relay=none, delay=0.33, delays=0.31/0.01/0/0.01, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (User unknown in virtual alias table)

Now, I’ve grepped through /etc/ for stephan (very useful that he has a unique name) and the entries appear to be identical, so I’m rather at a loss to see what the issue could be.

As far as I know, everyone whose Unix name contains a dot in this manner is not getting email, and everyone else is - and all the settings (with /etc) seem to be identical.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Howdy,

So for the oddnoise domain name – to migrate to your new server, are you saying you generated a Virtualmin backup file, copied that to the new server, and then restored that backup?

If you look in Edit Virtual Server -> Enabled Features, is the Mail for Domain feature enabled?

Also, if you go into Limits and Validation -> Validate Virtual Servers, does that detect anything unusual for that domain?

And lastly, if you go into System Settings -> Re-Check Config, does that notice anything unusual?

-Eric

Unfortunately, the procedure given requires you to have as much free disk space as you have domains to migrate, and my server was over 70% full - indeed, I managed to fill my disk space on the first attempt to migrate.

So I migrated each domain separately, and I’m sure that was the issue - that some overall information was lost.

I was in somewhat of a panic at the time, and my time was limited.

I did manage to resolve the issue, though I don’t think I got the root cause. In each case they had created a separate Unix account but when it came down to it they really only needed a mail alias. I just deleted the funky accounts altogether, replaced them by mail aliases, and voila.

I checked, but nearly everyone is using aliases instead of separate accounts, so I think I got it all.