Default website page

I’m sure there’s a way to do this, but I can’t find it.

I would like to have a default web page installed for new domains. Similar to an “under construction” page. Just a placeholder until the site is configured. Right now it just does a directory index which isn’t pretty.

How can I configure this? I would assume its under templates, but I can’t seem to figure out what I should edit.

Thanks…

You can select a default web design when first setting up the site with-in the setup when you create the virtual server. Its the bottom option, initial web site content.

Berilac wrote:

You can select a default web design when first setting up the site with-in the setup when you create the virtual server. Its the bottom option, initial web site content.
I don't see that option. You're talking about the area where you create the virtual service right? Is that available in the GPL version?

no it is in the vm pro version

You can put whatever you’d like into the skel directory. Usually this is /etc/skel. So, you’d create:

/etc/skel/public_html

And drop an index.html into it with whatever default page you like…be sure to include any images or other bits. You can also, optionally, have variable substitution done within the files–so you could have the page display the domain name or description field in the temporary site.

0o i never realized that could be done :slight_smile:

Berilac wrote:

Doh! Guess I'll have to pony up some cash.
Doh! Guess I'll have to pony up some cash.

If you insist! :wink:

Seriously, though, there’s more than one way to do it…certainly the website builder in Virtualmin Professional is pretty cool, and we’re going to get some new templates added soon (there’s only a handful right now). But, for just adding a default site, skel works fine, and is available in GPL. I’ve never really thought of the website creator/editor to be a “killer” Pro-only feature, but I guess it is convenient, particularly during site creation…getting up and running really, incredibly, fast is a pretty nice thing.

I was headed the skeleton route. I figured that should work, but I hadn’t tested it. I didn’t know if there was a "built-in way to accomplish this.

I’ll give it a shot. Thanks

Centos 5.2

What I had done a while ago:

added welcome.conf as follows in /etc/httpd/conf.d/welcome.conf

# # This configuration file enables the default "Welcome" # page if there is no default index page present for # the root URL. To disable the Welcome page, comment # out all the lines below. # <LocationMatch "^/+$"> Options -Indexes ErrorDocument 403 /error/noindex.html </LocationMatch>

put index.html in var/www/html/index.html

I used the default Centos landing page.

^ Not a bad idea either.

I kept it simple and used the skel way. Seems to work the way I need it.