Default quota for entire server

Does the above statement in --> Server Template --> Unix User include mail quota?

1. If it is so, I have a strange thing going on. I have a mail only domain and it has 141M worth of mails but Virtualmin is only displaying the size of the website.

Space used by mail/FTP users 0 bytes on /
Space used by Unix user 604 kB on /
Space used by databases 8192 bytes

1. If not, where do i enable mail quota?

Thanks

Hey Nicholas,

Are you sure you’ve got 3.23? I forgot to update the yum repositories when I rolled out the new version…so getting it on Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS would have been difficult (the yum command given in the update notice wouldn’t have worked until this afternoon…sorry about that). You can check with:

rpm -q wbm-virtual-server

Or you can just look in the "Virtualmin version" in the System section on the System Information page.

If do actually have 3.23, there’s probably still an issue somewhere.

On the bandwidth thing, I’m not sure. We had a mail bandwidth issue reported in the past, but I’m pretty sure that got resolved.

Filing a bug about it in the bug tracker, or re-opening the old one (if you’ve already filed a bug about this issue) is the best way to proceed on getting it fixed quickly and making sure Jamie and I don’t forget about it.

BTW-Checking disk usage in Virtualmin is normally done using the repquota command (though there is a non-realtime du mode, as well, for systems that don’t have quota capability), which probably won’t report exactly the same usage as du. To use it, you’d run “repquota /home” or “repquota /”, depending on whether /home is a separate file system or not.

Oops…after looking a bit deeper, I see I was lying when I said this:

BTW-Checking disk usage in Virtualmin is normally done using the repquota command (though there is a non-realtime du mode, as well, for systems that don’t have quota capability), which probably won’t report exactly the same usage as du.

Virtualmin in 3.23 now uses calculations that report identically (or very nearly) to what du -h reports. So, du and Virtualmin should now agree on disk usage.

I had upgraded to version 3.26 and i am still having the same problem. It is not displaying disk used by mail. I had did check quota command for both users and group and also used webmin to do the same, but still no joy.

Does VirtualMin check quota for qmail/vpopmail?

Thanks

Hey Nicholas,

Virtualmin uses a combination of system quotas, and du for disk usage reports and emailed overage warnings.

There are several instances where it would be possible to fool Virtualmin about disk usage: If mail is stored somewhere other than the domain home partition, if the mail is stored in files owned by someone other than the user, if the mail is stored group-owned by someone other than the domain group. Ownership is the only way Virtualmin knows how much space is being used by a user, and so if things aren’t owned by the user and the domain group, it has no way of figuring it out.

I am completely ignorant of the way qmail/vpopmail stores its mail, so I can’t really answer with any authority about whether Virtualmin knows how to report on it. If qmail/vpopmail uses some other mechanism for figuring out and reporting on usage, we might be able to add support for it in some future version (but we’ll need to figure out how that method works).

Hi Joe,

Thanks for replying. qmail/vpopmail without mysql stores mails in /home/vpopmail/domains/domain.com and indivdual domain has its own folder eg. /home/vpopmail/domains/yahoo.com and /home/vpopmail/domains/gmail.com

Everything in /home/vpopmail must be owned by user vpopmail and group vchkpw. The only way to tell them apart are the domain names.

Really wish to see this feature to support quota on qmail/vpopmail in the near future.

Thanks again!

Hey Nicholas,

Yep, that explains it. It sounds like it would be possible to add a special case for this kind of environment, but it’ll probably be a few weeks before it’ll be in the running for inclusion (we’re in feature freeze at the moment, as we try to kill all of the bugs before ending the Early Adopter period).

After installing the 3.23 version which it claims to fix up mail display error. I notice that it does not fix this at all.

Domain info for abc.com

Disk space used (including sub-servers) 732 kB (732 kB by Unix user, 0 bytes by mail / FTP users)
Space used by databases 8192 bytes (8192 bytes in this server, 0 bytes in sub-servers)

[[root@ahead abc.com]]# du -h
20K ./awstats
136K ./public_html/stats
140K ./public_html
540K ./cgi-bin
36K ./logs
756K .

4.0K ./postmaster/Maildir/new
4.0K ./postmaster/Maildir/.Sent/new
4.0K ./postmaster/Maildir/.Sent/courierimapkeywords
4.0K ./postmaster/Maildir/.Sent/tmp
4.0K ./postmaster/Maildir/.Sent/cur
// snip
99M .

I do have user and group quota enabled.

Lastly, regarding the bandwidth usage

Usage since 03/09/2006 33 kB

This domain is operating for 2 months and amounted to 99m worth of mails, but why only 33kb of bandwidth is been used?

Best regards
Nic

After installing the 3.23 version which it claims to fix up mail display error. I notice that it does not fix this at all.

Domain info for abc.com

Disk space used (including sub-servers) 732 kB (732 kB by Unix user, 0 bytes by mail / FTP users)
Space used by databases 8192 bytes (8192 bytes in this server, 0 bytes in sub-servers)

20K ./awstats
136K ./public_html/stats
140K ./public_html
540K ./cgi-bin
36K ./logs
756K .

4.0K ./postmaster/Maildir/new
4.0K ./postmaster/Maildir/.Sent/new
4.0K ./postmaster/Maildir/.Sent/courierimapkeywords
4.0K ./postmaster/Maildir/.Sent/tmp
4.0K ./postmaster/Maildir/.Sent/cur
// snip
99M .

I do have user and group quota enabled.

Lastly, regarding the bandwidth usage

Usage since 03/09/2006 33 kB

This domain is operating for 2 months and amounted to 99m worth of mails, but why only 33kb of bandwidth is been used?

Best regards
Nic

Hi,

Any update on this?