Debian 8 Virtualmin lamp Stack Installation error

I am a newbie at virtualin installation
I am tryig to install virtualmin on a OpenVZ VPS with debian 8.
The installation breaks when it gets to the virtualmin LAMP stack installation.
Take a look at below and tell me what is wrong and how it can be fixed. Thank you.

http://www.virtualmin.com/os-support

The selected package bundle is LAMP and the size of install is
full. It will require up to 650 MB of disk space.

Exit and re-run this script with --help flag to see available options.

Continue? (y/n) y
[INFO] Started installation log in /root/virtualmin-install.log

▣□□ Phase 1 of 3: Setup
Downloading repository metadata [ OK! ]
Enabling universe repositories, if not already available [ OK! ]
Disabling cdrom: repositories [ OK! ]
Cleaning out old metadata [ OK! ]
Downloading RPM-GPG-KEY-virtualmin-6 [ OK! ]
Downloading RPM-GPG-KEY-webmin [ OK! ]
Installing Virtualmin 6 key [ OK! ]
Installing Webmin key [ OK! ]
Updating apt metadata [ OK! ]
Removing non-standard Webmin package, if installed [ OK! ]

▣▣□ Phase 2 of 3: Installation
Installing Webmin [ OK! ]
Installing Usermin [ OK! ]
Installing fail2ban [ OK! ]
Removing nginx (if installed) before LAMP installation. [ OK! ]
Removing unneeded packages that could confict with LAMP stack. [ OK! ]
Installing postfix [ OK! ]
Installing virtualmin-lamp-stack [==>–]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] Something went wrong with the previous command. Exiting.
root@srv1:~#

Scroll through /root/virtualmin-install.log and see what errors there are toward the end when it fails.

I checked /root/virtualmin-install.log and these are the error. can you diagnose the cause and proffer the solution? Thanks

Selecting previously unselected package publicsuffix.
Preparing to unpack …/201-publicsuffix_20170424.0717-1_all.deb …
Unpacking publicsuffix (20170424.0717-1) …
Errors were encountered while processing:
/tmp/apt-dpkg-install-TrWelD/188-ruby2.3-doc_2.3.3-1_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Installing virtualmin-lamp-stack: Failed with error: 100
[2017-08-28 15:58:07 EDT] [ERROR] Something went wrong with the previous comman$

@willidex

hi, cannot you just install debian os with just ssh on it? means clean naked os and then ssh onto your server and download install.sh from virtualmin website and just run it? That way if will install without problem - at least it always did for me. Make sure that your hostname is properly setup and you should not have any issues.

you can check your hostname with: hostname and hostname -f - they both should give you same exact results. also set your hostname for that server to something like host.yourdomain.com or box.yourdomain.com or something like that. You should do that before you process virtualmin install and you should be fine.

@unborn

I did everything you just described to the letter. I was meticulous. But the installation just wont complete. I even re-installed ubuntu 14 LTS and then tried debian 7, it was the same thing. the installation got stuck somewhere. I just don’t understand it. I had previously successfully installed virtualmin on a debian 7 VPS from another hosting company. This VPS giving this issue is not from the same provider. I only switched because I could get more more IPs which I required.

hostname and hostname -f should return --different-- results. :slight_smile:

hostname should be the short name for the host, like say, ‘webserver’. It is just the name of the server.

hostname -f should be the FQDN, like say, ‘webserver.example.com’.

@willidex

ah I see… debian 7 is no longer supported and I think thats why the issues… please use debian 8 and let me know. if you would not be able to do it, i would help you remotely or something

Older distros are still a bit less tested with the new installer. I’m working on issues as I find them. Do you not have a recent distro available to you? (Debian 9 and Ubuntu 16.04 are preferred.)

That said, I have done a bunch of successful tests on Debian 8, as well. I don’t expect problems so if they occur I need to see the last few entries of the error log.