Custom username

Hi,

I want sometimes to create a virtual server with the same user. But this is not possible because the system gives a message "The specified administration user already exists". Is there a workaround for it?

Reason to do this:
I want to use it for a local development server. Every developer has its own user and it would be nice that he can use his linux user(=webmin user) to create the virtual server. The security is set by his group. All the developers are in the same group. I made it to set the group to the ‘webroot’ of the domain. So developers can help each other and access each others files.

I hope there is a solution to use the same administration user

Thanks in advance

would not making a subserver be a solution as it gets the login credentials of the parent? Or create users with access to certain domains? Or creating resellers accounts and determine to which domains they have access to?<br><br>Post edited by: ronald, at: 2008/06/12 07:49

This is NOT the help forum. I simply can’t understand why people are so lazy to not read, just ticks me off.

READ!!!

virtman wrote:

I want sometimes to create a virtual server with the same user. But this is not possible because the system gives a message "The specified administration user already exists". Is there a workaround for it?

Reason to do this:
I want to use it for a local development server. Every developer has its own user and it would be nice that he can use his linux user(=webmin user) to create the virtual server. The security is set by his group. All the developers are in the same group. I made it to set the group to the ‘webroot’ of the domain. So developers can help each other and access each others files.

Howdy,

I’m not sure I’m fully following what you’re trying to do there, but here’s a few thoughts –

First, you should be able to have your developers create Virtual Servers, that’s akin to what resellers would be doing.

Since top-level Virtual Servers create new Linux usernames, that would prevent you from having two separate top-level Virtual Servers owned by the same user.

But in theory, what you could do is have your users create virtual servers within their individual Virtualmin accounts (so each new site would then be a sub-server, not a top-level server).

Now, does that help at all, or am I off track? :slight_smile: If that’s not quite what you’re after, could you explain your use-case in a little more detail?

Have a good one!
-Eric