Custom BIND DNS records for new domains

Hi,
I want to set completely custom dns records for my zones.
I go to Templates > BIND DNS domain and add smth like

${DOM}. IN NS ns1.${DOM}.
${DOM}. IN NS ns2.${DOM}.
*.${DOM}. IN A ${IP}
ns1.${DOM}. IN A ${IP}
ns2.${DOM}. IN A ${IP}
and so on
I then check "Use only the records above" and then I get an error about the SOA entry which is indeed missing. My problem is: what should I write for the serial number? Current YYYYMMDDnn?
I see virtualmin uses UNIX-timestamp syntax for serial, If i put current unix time is it ok?<br><br>Post edited by: Lucian, at: 2007/07/31 13:43

bump…same question

Replace ns9.mydomain.net with your primary nameserver
replace hostmaster.mydomain.net with your domain hostmaster email (pretend the . after hostmaster is an @ sign)

so will the 2005123101 timestamp get automatically updated by virtualmin?

Here’s an example of what I have used with perfect success:

[code:1]
${DOM}. IN SOA ns9.mydomain.net. hostmaster.mydomain.net. (
38400 )
[/code:1]

Paste this into the template and host away!

Here’s an example of what I have used with perfect success:

[code:1]
${DOM}. IN SOA ns9.mydomain.net. hostmaster.mydomain.net. (
38400 )
[/code:1]

Paste this into the template and host away!

Lucian wrote:

Hi, I want to set completely custom dns records for my zones. I go to Templates > BIND DNS domain and add smth like

${DOM}. IN NS ns1.${DOM}.
${DOM}. IN NS ns2.${DOM}.
*.${DOM}. IN A ${IP}
ns1.${DOM}. IN A ${IP}
ns2.${DOM}. IN A ${IP}
and so on
I then check "Use only the records above" and then I get an error about the SOA entry which is indeed missing. My problem is: what should I write for the serial number? Current YYYYMMDDnn?
I see virtualmin uses UNIX-timestamp syntax for serial, If i put current unix time is it ok?<br><br>Post edited by: Lucian, at: 2007/07/31 13:43

The simple answer is you can put anything you want. (Basically), although the YYYYMMDDnn format is certainly the RFP standard.

My totally custom template uses 2005123104 as the value, and I have no problem passing the DNSstuff.com tests with flying colors.

It’s really a pretty arbitrary number. Windows AD DNS servers start this value at 1, just as an example…

Hope this helps!