Curiosity question : Why does Webmin script: run-postinstalls.pl run almost daily

Hello everyone!

I have a little question for my curiosity. Why does the Webmin script “run-postinstalls.pl” runs on a daily basis? What is its purpose and why is it necessary for it to run frequently?

I noticed it by activation the email notification for activities on the server :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot

Martin

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 20.04.6
Virtualmin version 7.7 Pro

thats not normal, something must be triggering it. Or do you mean you see it being called in the cron or something like that, not in the GUI?

Probably a cron because there is no user attach to the script when used.
Do you know what this script does ?

thanks a lot

No real idea, maybe you need an answer from @staff, but I would guess from the name it tidies up Virtualmin if you have done some other package updates.

Thanks for your fast reply :slight_smile:
I hope @staff will have the time to view and reply

Have a great week ahead!

Martin

run-postinstalls.pl runs after installation of a Webmin update or installing a module. It runs whatever postinstall scripts ship with a module. If you’re doing something that installs/updates modules every day, that would cause the postinstalls to run daily, too. I can’t think of any good reason to do that, though.

I can’t think of any reason it would need to run daily, since it has to do with installing or updating modules. Maybe @Jamie can clarify or make a guess about why it’d be running daily.

2 Likes

Yeah, it only gets run when a module is installed. So unless there’s a webmin update that is partially complete and is being re-tried daily, this shouldn’t happen…

1 Like

So, if I understand that. It should not be a cron job (repeating) and so removing it as a cron job should solve it? The question would then be - what is setting it up as a cron job.

1 Like

Thank you all so much for your answers! :slight_smile:

I did not have a notification today, wahoo! So I think the most probable explanation is that it was partially complete and it was re-trying daily until it was completed.

And if i understand the run-postinstalls.pl script role is to check (and fix) to make sure everything is fine after an installation or update?

I will check if i have another notification later today or in the coming days and let you know.

Thanks again everyone for your super fast and generous replies.

I wish you a great day ahead!

Martin

Yes, it’s run after installing Webmin or Virtualmin to perform any processing needed to complete the upgrade to the new version. Normally it’s only run on upgrade, but if it fails dpkg might try to re-run it when installing other packages.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.