Create Reseller in GPL version ?

Hi. If resellers are available in the GPL version, I sure can’t find how to create one on my brand new Debian lenny installation.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Sorry, resellers are a Pro feature.

You may be able to get a better idea as to how they work by playing around with the Virtualmin demo, using the Demo link below.
-Eric

Thank you for your prompt response. I suspected as much, but the comparison table omitted this particular feature.

There are of course very many worthy features in the pro upgrade, which I am contemplating stressfully.

You’re right…I completely skipped over mentioning this feature (there are so many other cool enhancements in Professional, that I didn’t even think about resellers). I’ll fix that.

Oh, yeah, I’ll add that the primary determining factor in whether a feature goes into both or only Professional is, “Is the primary purpose of this feature to help people make money with Virtualmin?” If the answer is, “yes”, then it usually goes into Professional only. If the answer is, “no, there are lots of cool uses for this feature and making money is nowhere near the top of the list”, then it goes into GPL, too.

Sometimes we change our mind about it, and cross-port a feature to GPL. The full API just merged into GPL, for example.

Obviously, resellers are pretty much entirely useful for making money. There are a few non-money related uses…but it’s pretty rare, and the non-monetary cases where it does make sense (like non-profits, schools, etc.) we either donate a license or the institution gets a pretty big discount.

Hi Joe,

For the sake of conversation, not argumentation, I’ll just note, without disagreement, that my profitless inclination toward the feature was to provide my comrades with a feature-full account identified by their username, without requiring of either of ua a pre-established domain name.

I’m still exploring, happily so. When I started administrating linux servers 30 months ago I eschewed all panels for the familiar right reasons. Now I’d like to offer my comrades a GUI interface to set up email boxes and aliases, and host a small (non-commercial) website, so I’m looking at panels, and have concluded for yours because I don’t want to lose control over my CLI shell relationship with the configurations, and the layout.

Thanks for writing. I’m sticking around, still learning and exploring, appreciative of what you’ve done with this.

For the sake of conversation, not argumentation, I'll just note, without disagreement, that my profitless inclination toward the feature was to provide my comrades with a feature-full account identified by their username, without requiring of either of ua a pre-established domain name.

For that, a reseller isn’t really a great account type, either.

Frankly, Virtualmin was designed such that a persons first interaction with it is, “create a website”. Without the “website” part, there isn’t anything Virtualmin wants to do for you. It just doesn’t know how to speak any other language. This isn’t perfect for your use case…but you may note that Webmin provides extensive ACL capabilities, and if your comrade is trusted, you can grant him root-like privileges in Virtualmin, and whatever additional modules you want.

But, I still think just creating a regular virtual server is the way to go.

In the past, when I’ve been in this circumstance, I’ve created a “master” domain…so, for example, I could create “virtualmin.com”, and I could give Jamie the domain “jamie.virtualmin.com” and he’d get the username “jamie”. And I could give Eric the domain “eric.virtualmin.com” and he’d get the username “eric”. And then, I’d just configure those accounts to allow them to do anything they wanted, including create unlimited new sub-servers (named anything they want), databases, mailboxes, etc.

Hmm…starting to sound like exactly what you wanted isn’t it? You just have to accept that Virtualmin is for websites. It is not about users, at all. Usrs are just a necessary aspect of making websites on a UNIX system.

That describes where I’m at right now :slight_smile: … but I’m still only at the beginning; and as you’re aware, there’s still a lot to explore and learn.

Fortunately, for us both, it’s fun :slight_smile: