Create New Priviledged Uder

HI,

in Webmin there is a function “Create Priviledged User”

Is that the best option to create a new sudo user, who can do all server administration with sudo, but I do not have to pass out my root pw?

Is there a log what this user did?

Thx a million

Dan

Hi,

Yes. However, you can set a different password to be used with default root user for Webmin only in Webmin > Webmin Users module.

Is there a log what this user did?

Yes, on Webmin > Webmin Action Log page.

1 Like

Hi Ilia, thank you!!
sorry, not suire I understand. " Yes. However, you can set a different password to be used with default root user for Webmin only in Webmin > Webmin Users module."

I am root and have one root pw… am I also the default roor user then?

The sudo-admin I want to create shall be able to use both, cli and webmin and have his/her own pw with sudo-root privilidges…would it work that way? And would using webmin also create the ability for ssh/terminal access?

Thx a million

Dan

Webmin can use for authentication passwords stored in /etc/shadow (default) but you can use the same user (i.e. root) to authenticate into Webmin using a different password, if stored in miniserv.users file.

Choose Set to … and set a password for root user to be used with Webmin only. Passwords will retain the same for SSH and other services.

1 Like

Hi Ilia, thank you!

Honestly, that is above my head and I am afraid to break something or log me out in the process :slight_smile:

So if I use Webmin -> Webmin User - Create Priviledged User
set pw for this user
and then…oh boy…thoudands of options

SSL Certificate name ?? tooot LOL
Categorize Modules ? toot

ok…and what modules are needed …hmmm
ok, no newbie stuff :slight_smile:
Dan

Dan, you don’t have to create a new user, if it’s all done for you alone - just use current root user, with new password set (if you wish to have a different password) or you can just change/rename current Webmin root user to anything you like on the same page. You can access edit Webmin root user page by clicking a user with a cog icon, near logout button.

1 Like

thx Ilia!

done :slight_smile: Thank you!

Dan

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.