Connect Mailwizz to SMTP Server on VPS

Here are the SMTP details I am using.
Hostname: <domain added, say example DOT com>
Username:
Password:

However, the SMTP server hostname in my Virtualmin shows like this: mail.example.com.

When I am using this hostname, I could not connect to the server.

When I using the added domain like example DOT com or the dedicated IP, this is what I am getting:

ERROR: 454: 4.7.0 Temporary authentication failure: generic failure

Please help.

The SMTP settings are displayed at Virtualmin → Edit Users and then click the button captioned “Show Email Client Settings”

Since it is Mailwhizz which is probably generating the error, Google is your friend. See saslauthd auth login to postfix meet 454 4.7.0 Temporary authentication failure: generic failure - Ask Ubuntu

Yes, I checked the SMTP mail server from that tab and it showed mail.mail.ttop10.review (my domain).

I used the SMTP hostname, email address and password (for that email). It could not connect.

I used the dedicated IP, email address and password, it connected until it ended up with that temporary failure notification.

What do I need to do?

Forgive me. I am a layman and I could not understand a bit of the link you gave.

This does not seem right… have you created a virtual server for the domain mail.ttop10.review for some reason?

Yes, I have created a virtual server for that sub-domain that I attached in the server. Can I please contact you via Skype or Facebook?

If you create a virtual server something.tld then Virtualmin uses mail.something.tld

Thereafter if you create a virtual server mail.something.tld, it causes confusion.

Sure, you can reach m via skype, @schttrj

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.