Cloudmin ISCSI on Ubuntu 12.04

If you select one of those problem VMs from the left menu, and then go to Resources -> Manage Disks, does it still show the size as zero or unlimited?

Neither, it says 15GB
Franco

This may be due to the total disk size just being incorrectly cached then. If you click on one of these VMs and then click “Refresh fully” on the left menu, does the size now appear correctly in the VM list?

No Jamie, it stays the same, and the last VM I built on iSCSI from scratch did not do this (confusing). I think it might be related to cloning or creating from images on iscsi based vms. I will have to run some more tests but I will try cloning the vm thats reporting size correctly and see if that messes it up :wink:
Franco

Actually, I just found a bug in Cloudmin that can cause the total disk size display to be incorrect in some cases when using iSCSI. It will be fixed in the next release though.

Super. I can confim that cloning a running iSCSI vm without the unlimited issue creates a clone with the unlimited issue.

Sorry for continually adding things here, but it just makes sense to put it all in one place related to iSCSI.

I have been making my VMs like this:

Create Empty System via Ubuntu ISO
Force system on my iSCSI hosts
force vm to use my chosen IP
configure static networking in ubuntu
manual drive config of LVM on iSCSi on LVM

By this last line I mean that the host is serving up an LV via iSCSI and my VM disk is created on that, and then inside the ubuntu installer I am creating a LVG and then an LV which is mounted as /

Is this the ideal approach or is there a better one?
Thanks
Franco

I would recommend not setting up LVM inside the VM - instead, just create a single regular partition that occupies the whole disk, and mount it on /

The reason for this is that Cloudmin cannot access the filesystem within the VM if it is inside an LV. Also, you can expand the VM disk and filesystem using Cloudmin, which negates one of the benefits of using LVM (the ability to expand a filesystem onto another disk).

ok, I could not find an exisiting bug for this, but…

on my system I tried to move LVM disk to iSCSI and got this, looks familiar:

Moving disk for
/dev/vdb
to storage iSCSI server smvmcloud …

move failed :
Failed to create new disk :
iSCSI connection failed :
Failed to read from fastrpc.cgi :

And of course it actually did make the LV on iSCSI and even created the target and connection too.
but the disk move did not complete (I am finishing it manually using dd)
Franco

Does the system that is being moved have multiple disks?

no this one only had one 11 GB LV on the cloudmin master which is I think is currently configured for for iSCSI (I cant be sure since I cannot get in as the fiber is down right now).

Confirmed, this VM only has a single LV disk and the host (Cloudmin master) SMVMHOST is set for iSCSI on SMVMCLOUD.

also a subsequent attempt to move it will fail stating that the disk already exists, whereby you must then manually delete the iSCSI connection, target, and the LV itself before you can try again.

Are you still seeing this after I applied the fix to your system for the iSCSI server addition error?

yes, sadly I am, but I am all for finding and killing each and every bug we can :wink:

After you fixed the bug, I added the master as an iscsi server so I could move lvms to iscsi on the master.

my latest test was to take zoneminder.virtual a 10GB LVM with a single disk, on the cloudmin master (SMVMHOST) and tried to move the disk from local LVM to local iSCSI and got this almost immediately:

Moving disk for /dev/vda to storage iSCSI server smvmhost …

move failed :
Failed to create new disk :
iSCSI connection failed :
Failed to read from fastrpc.cgi :

when I examined the iSCIS connection via webmin for the master I found a valid connection mounted to a valid target and a new iSCSI lv under that:
Connection:

216.108.146.10 3260 default iqn.2013-09.smvmhost zoneminder.virtual_0_img None /dev/sdd

Target:

iqn.2013-09.smvmhost:zoneminder.virtual_0_img LVM VG lg_storage, LV zoneminder.virtual_0_img 10 GB zoneminder.virtual

Logical Volume

zoneminder.virtual_0_img lg_storage 10 GB
iSCSI shared device iqn.2013-09.smvmhost:zoneminder.virtual_0_img

I have a suspicion as to what could cause this - on your iSCSI server, are disks stored in regular files, or in LVM logical volumes?

all my iscsi serve out on LVG yes.

Hi Jamie,
We followed the documentation on http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/cloudmin/iscsi but so far getting the following error. We are using cloudmin pro.

creation failed : iSCSI disk creation failed : iSCSI server is not running on

and we are not able to see the manage disks option under Resources. We have also added the iscsi connection to the server using cloudmins Iscsi client option under Webmin>hardware but so far no success. Please guide us.

your help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Can you file a support ticket for this? It will be easier to track the issue there than on the forums…