Cloudmin for Physical Systems or Cloudmin vor Virtual Systems / Differences

Hi there,

I am running 7 Host Systems with each 3 Virtual Systems on them. I am now evaluating which version of Cloudmin i should buy. As much as i understand the major difference between the 2 Versions of Cloudmin is that the “Physical Systems” - Version does not support the creation of new VMs.

I am not planning to create any more VMs in near future. Therefore i dont need the “create” feature. I find it very difficult to see the differences between the 2 versions. A feature matrix would be a good thing!

Question 1 ) Are there any other cool features in the “Virtuay Systems” - Version of Cloudmin that would make it interesting for me?

Question 2) Do i need a license for 21 Virtual Systems (e.g. the 25 Instances license) or 21 + 7 Virtual Systems (eg. a 25 Instances license + a 10 Instances license) in this situation?

Thanks for your advice in advance,

Best regards

Nicolas

You only need to get the 24 virtual license in this case. The physical systems license is for physical systems only, that won’t have any VM’s on them.

I am not planning to create any more VMs in near future. Therefore i dont need the “create” feature. I find it very difficult to see the differences between the 2 versions. A feature matrix would be a good thing!

Perhaps a nifty graph/table is in our future :slight_smile:

However, the idea that spawned Cloudmin in the first place is the idea that, with the upswing of VPS’s and cloud-based services (ie, EC2), people may want an automated way to provision and manage those.

What if you’re running a VPS service, using something like Xen. A new customer calls you up, and says “Hey, I’d like a Xen VPS with 512MB of RAM”.

If you have Cloudmin, you’d say "No problem, hang on while I click the ‘Create new 512MB Xen VPS button’ :slight_smile:

Going a step further, there’s billing/provisioning software such as WHMCS (available at http://whmcs.com) that would allow customers to go to a website, purchase a 512MB VPS plan, and it would use Cloudmin’s API to setup and provision that VPS for your customer. You’d never have to get involved!

That’s neat and all, but if you aren’t looking to use VPS’s at this point, that may not do much for you :slight_smile:

The Cloudmin for Physical Systems aims to make life simpler for someone with N existing servers, who’s tired of having to log into N different boxes to manage things. It provides a single place where you can go to in order to manage all your machines.

For example, you could log in there, and have it upgrade all the packages on all your servers. Maybe you want to upload a file to one or more servers. Or run a command on all your servers.

Cloudmin for Physical Servers will do all that for you. And one day, if you decide to get into the realm of VPS’s, maybe the Cloudmin version for Virtual Systems will be more useful to you :slight_smile:

Tthere’s a 45 day return policy, so if you’re unhappy with it, or it simply doesn’t do what you need, just file a Support request (using the Support link above) and ask for a refund.

Of course, if you think it’s a solvable problem, you might first consider filing a feature request to ask for the futures you need :slight_smile:

-Eric

I would like to tack a question on to this.
In the very near future (read… 2-3 weeks at most) I am planning on picking up more servers. Be them dedicated like I have or some VPS’s (found someone that is offering VERY competitive VPS and fits perfectly in my budget).

So.

How does Cloudmin go with managing a VPS based server?
And what if said server suddenly gets a resource increase from 10GB -> 30GB of hdd available and more RAM.

Does Cloudmin just instantly see you have more resources on said VPS?
I do not plan to run VMs on my servers (and don’t think an Intel Atom 330 will support a VM terribly well anyway)

How does Cloudmin compare to the Cluster setup available within Virtualmin?
Cluster seems to allow me to compare servers / install packages / update packages.

How does Cloudmin go in managing accounts between various installed Virtualmin Instances? Does it allow you to copy an account between then and (if needed) updated DNS records?