ClamAV will not update

Now updating clamav …

Installing package(s) with command yum -y install clamav ..

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
  Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
   * rpmforge: fr2.rpmfind.net
   * base: ftp.ussg.iu.edu
   * updates: centos.mirror.nac.net
   * addons: ftp.ussg.iu.edu
   * extras: centos.cs.wisc.edu
  Setting up Install Process
  Parsing package install arguments
  Resolving Dependencies
  --> Running transaction check
  ---> Package clamav.x86_64 0:0.95.1-2.el5.rf set to be updated
  --> Processing Dependency: clamav-db for package: clamav
  --> Processing Dependency: libclamav.so.5()(64bit) for package: clamav-server
  --> Processing Dependency: libclamav.so.5(CLAMAV_PRIVATE)(64bit) for package: clamav-server
  --> Processing Dependency: libclamav.so.5(CLAMAV_PUBLIC)(64bit) for package: clamav-server
  --> Processing Dependency: clamav-lib = 0.94.2-1.vm.el5 for package: clamav-server
  --> Processing Dependency: clamav-server = 0.94.2-1.vm.el5 for package: clamav-server-sysv
  ---> Package clamd.x86_64 0:0.95.1-2.el5.rf set to be updated
  ---> Package clamav-db.x86_64 0:0.95.1-2.el5.rf set to be updated
  ---> Package clamav-server-sysv.x86_64 0:0.95.1-1.vm.el5 set to be updated
  --> Processing Dependency: clamav-server = 0.95.1-1.vm.el5 for package: clamav-server-sysv
  ---> Package clamav-server.x86_64 0:0.95.1-1.vm.el5 set to be updated
  --> Processing Dependency: clamav-filesystem = 0.95.1-1.vm.el5 for package: clamav-server
  --> Processing Dependency: clamav-lib = 0.95.1-1.vm.el5 for package: clamav-server
  ---> Package clamav-lib.x86_64 0:0.95.1-1.vm.el5 set to be updated
  ---> Package clamav-filesystem.x86_64 0:0.95.1-1.vm.el5 set to be updated
  --> Processing Conflict: clamav-filesystem conflicts clamav > 0.95.1-1.vm.el5
  --> Finished Dependency Resolution
  clamav-filesystem-0.95.1-1.vm.el5.x86_64 from virtualmin has depsolving problems
    --> clamav-filesystem conflicts with clamav
  Error: clamav-filesystem conflicts with clamav

.. install failed!

No packages were installed. Check the messages above for the cause of the error.

Any ideas? CentOS 5 64bit.

Thanks!

You have a third party repository configured that is not compatible with our packages or the EPEL packages (upon which ours are based).

You cannot safely have repos configured that provide the same, but incompatible packages. You must exclude either our packages or theirs. Since ours are based on EPEL, I would ordinarily recommend ours, but you appear to already be running those from the third party repository. So, I guess you’ll need to stick with theirs and exclude ours.

I advise caution when using third party repositories, especially if you don’t really understand what’s going on when you setup additional repos.

Thanks, I was not aware that virtualmin required use of only its repo!

Thanks, I was not aware that virtualmin required use of only its repo!

Who said that? Certainly not me!

I’m talking about basic system sanity here. It has nothing to do with Virtualmin. You have two third party repos configured. One of them happens to be ours. The other one has a package that is incompatible with a package in our repo. You must choose which repo you want that package to come from. You cannot safely have two repos providing the same package. This isn’t optional, and it’s got nothing to do with Virtualmin. If you were to enable EPEL and whatever this other third party repo is, you would have to do the same thing. Again, we’re not talking about Virtualmin at all here. We’re talking about yum, and sane repository decision-making.

I’m just telling you to take a moment to understand what you’re doing when you enable third party repositories. I’m not telling you not to use third party repositories. But, if you aren’t going to take the time to understand what a third party repository does, and to understand why having two different sources for the same package is dangerous (or at least asking for extra work and some confusion), then you shouldn’t be enabling extra repositories. Not because we require it (we don’t, and I’ve never said so, even, anywhere) but because if you don’t understand it you shouldn’t do it. This goes for anything on your server. If you don’t understand something, why would you poke at it? Are you trying to make it angry? :wink:

One more note to bring this full circle: The Virtualmin CentOS repos have a handful of packages built from EPEL (Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux) which is a project that is part of the Fedora project…the packages are the most consistently RHEL or CentOS like of any available (because they are maintained by mostly the same people as RHEL and CentOS and Fedora packages). From a compatibility standpoint, EPEL is the gold standard. I’m not criticizing any other third party repos…many of them do an awesome job. But, they aren’t necessarily compatible with any other repositories…including ours and EPEL.