ClamAV & Virtualmin GPL

I’m running Virtualmin GPL on CentOS 5.2.

For the last few weeks I’ve been getting this in my freshclam.log:

WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.93 Recommended version: 0.93.1

How do I update the Virtualmin ClamAV to the latest version?

Or, if that’s not possible, how do I remove the Virtualmin ClamAV and then install the standard clamav?

Hi there,

Jamie make a mention of that in the last thread of this forum post:

http://www.virtualmin.com/forums/limit/10/limitstart/10/virtualmin/clamav-0.91.22.vm.el5-outdated.html#10047

He mentions this:

[code:1]
Anyone else who is seeing this should check out this bug report :
http://www.virtualmin.com/bugs/index.php?do=details&task_id=3556

The quick solution is to run :
rm -f /usr/sbin/clamd.virtualmin
ln -s /usr/sbin/clamd /usr/sbin/clamd.virtualmin
[/code:1]

I might recommend backing up clamd.virtualmin rather than deleting it just to be safe though :wink: (mv /usr/sbin/clamd.virtualmin /usr/sbin/clamd.virtualmin.old)

Have a good one,
-Eric

The problem with that is that I don’t have a clamd.virtualmin in /usr/sbin…?

Just download the new version and compile it.

Or, if that's not possible, how do I remove the Virtualmin ClamAV and then install the standard clamav?

There is no standard ClamAV for CentOS 5. We don’t provide packages that already exist in the OS standard repository, unless we need to change something (like Apache). And, if we change something, it’s because it won’t work otherwise. :wink:

I wish ClamAV was standard in CentOS, because it’s a bitch to package and upgrade. Horribly painful.

Anyway, 0.93.1 will go into our repos soon.

Just download the new version and compile it.

Number 32 on “Scott’s crazy ways to waste some time”. :wink:

I don’t recommend compiling anything, if you can avoid it.

0.93 works fine…I’ll have 0.93.1 in the repository soon.

Also note that the problem Eric is pointing to involved a non-Virtualmin provided ClamAV package, which complicates things. They’re all setup a little differently, making ClamAV even more of a bitch to deal with.

What I wound up doing was:

Uninstalling all forms of clamav, then chaning the rpmforge repo to exclude clamav*. Then re-installed clamav with yum… and now it seems to be working as it should. No more errors in the freshclam.log.

Excellent. That’s exactly what I would recommend. (Though we aren’t terribly pushy about folks using other repositories, it’s much simpler to stick with the packages we know work.)